You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi :-)

I make transit maps (diagrams) for fun in my spare time to relax.

This time presenting my unofficial version of the tramway network in Mainz, Germany:

Mainz.thumb.jpg.ef7055448a307388fb44e47bb9f9557b.jpg

Feedback is welcome as usual!

All the best,
Chris

PS: If you like maps you might also have a look at this community!
PPS: Want to know more about me and my ways? Head over to an Affinity Spotlight article about me and my maps!
PPPS: Do you love public transit and transit maps too? Then have a look at my home-made collection of transit maps under www.instagram.com/transitdiagrams or www.twitter.com/transitdiagrams

PPPPS: Other works than transit maps can be found here www.behance.net/chrisneuherz 

You might like this video. It starts at the railway station. Previously I have watched it all the way through and compared it with Google maps and a few panoramas from the map, though alas there is no street view presentation. I was looking for the statue of Gutenberg and the Gutenberg museum at the time, not looking for trams. I have just had a look near the start and there are tram lines along the road and I did note a tram going away in the distance at one time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scjLxGh17rA

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

Thank you.

I am trying to work out which route is the tramlines near the start of the video, thus far without success.

I note that the river Rhine is shown. The video mentioned in my previous post goes from the railway station to the Rhine and then returns to the railway station.

What do each of your coloured lines mean please? For example, is each line some track, or is each line a route sometimes travelling over the same physical track as another route for part of the way?

Can tram systems have points like railways?

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

I have now worked out how the video relates to your map.

If one views the video from 7 minutes in, (that is 420 seconds in), here is a direct link,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scjLxGh17rA&t=420

there are tram lines displayed. Please note the statue in the distance, the video is going to go to it.

The statue is of Schiller, who wrote the words of The Ode to Joy, sung in Beethoven's ninth symphony.

That is in Schillerplatz as can be found in Google maps and is a stop on some of the lines going downwards right from the railway station on your picture.

In the video, going on from the statue is a huge flower bed.

One can search for Mainz Schiller statue in Google maps.

If one tries for Google Street view on the Statue of Schiller then although there is no street view as such there is a panorama showing that flower bed and the statue (rear view) is in the background.

After that, the video goes away from the tram lines to the statue of Gutenberg, the cathedral, and the river.

In both Google maps and your picture the location of where the river Main flows into the Rhine is a useful point to observe how the two tie together.

It seems that after SchillerPlatz that the video goes away from the tram system.

William

2 minutes ago, William Overington said:

7 minutes in, (that is 420 seconds in)

tip.gif ‘7m’ also works here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scjLxGh17rA&t=7m or https://youtu.be/scjLxGh17rA?t=7m

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Reeeeally clean design, @ChrisSmere!

You asked for some feedback, and honestly it was really find anything to fault.

The only two areas that kept catching my eye were here 1. and 2.

1. just felt a little tight especially with the descender of the g
2. I felt that these could have a little more padding towards the edges - I presume they are equal spacing from the top and the sides but it might be a bit of an optical illusion that causes them to feel cramped.

image.thumb.png.8f8e0edef1072e7732ca8377501de489.png

Overall though, really well done! Great alignment, very clear and easy to understand even without being able to read the language.

@melior64
Always Learning | Always Improving
Website   |   Twitter   |   Instagram   |   YouTube

2 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

One typo: It is called "Agentur für Arbeit"

of course... all names are manually typed... 

danke schön für die Korrektur =)

PPS: Want to know more about me and my ways? Head over to an Affinity Spotlight article about me and my maps!
PPPS: Do you love public transit and transit maps too? Then have a look at my home-made collection of transit maps under www.instagram.com/transitdiagrams or www.twitter.com/transitdiagrams

PPPPS: Other works than transit maps can be found here www.behance.net/chrisneuherz 

3 hours ago, melior64 said:

1. just felt a little tight especially with the descender of the g

you are right ;-) will correct that! 

2. I felt that these could have a little more padding towards the edges - I presume they are equal spacing from the top and the sides but it might be a bit of an optical illusion that causes them to feel cramped.

hmmm, for me it seems okay the way they are. But you might have a point here. Will look into that!

Reeeeally clean design, @ChrisSmere!

thank you so much :-) really appreciate your feedback!

You asked for some feedback, and honestly it was really find anything to fault.

The only two areas that kept catching my eye were here 1. and 2.

You are absolutely right - and I thank you for your input! 

9 hours ago, ChrisSmere said:

danke schön für die Korrektur =)

War keine Kritik. Sehr schön geworden, erinnert mich ein wenig an die Metro-Karte von Stockholm.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

War keine Kritik. Sehr schön geworden, erinnert mich ein wenig an die Metro-Karte von Stockholm.

nicht als Kritik verstanden, sondern einfach als Hinweis zu einem Tippfehler :-)

Stockholm? Hmm, vielleicht wegen des dunklen Hintergrundes, aber das freut mich sehr, wenn es dir gefällt! Es gibt auch eine helle Variante dieses Netzplanes. Könnte ich später noch posten, wenn du magst, @Joachim_L?

Warum nicht? Spannend fände ich eine Art Making-of-Video, das würde anderen helfen und vielleicht fallen auch Tipps für dich ab.

Why not? A kind of Making-of-Video would be exciting for others to learn and maybe some hints for you.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Warum nicht? Spannend fände ich eine Art Making-of-Video, das würde anderen helfen und vielleicht fallen auch Tipps für dich ab.

Why not? A kind of Making-of-Video would be exciting for others to learn and maybe some hints for you.

Wäre sicher spannend so eine Art Video zu machen; haben auch schon viele empfohlen, aber ich weiß nach wie vor nicht wirklich, wie ich das anstellen könnte. Ich arbeite an einer Karte manchmal Wochen, manchmal nur ein paar Stunden - mit Unterbrechnungen. Echt keine Ahnung, wie ich das genau angehen sollte.

Making such a video would be exicting; actually many people already suggested to make one - only I don't really know how I would do this. On some maps I work a few weeks, on others only a few hours - always with breaks of course. So, I don't see how I could even start such a video. 

:-/

3 hours ago, ChrisSmere said:

Making such a video would be exicting; actually many people already suggested to make one - only I don't really know how I would do this. On some maps I work a few weeks, on others only a few hours - always with breaks of course. So, I don't see how I could even start such a video. 

:-/

I have not made a video though I have produced a document about the making of a PDF that has a design in it..

So maybe have a look first please at the document that it is about.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/design_influenced_by_choice_of_palette_solid_lines_version.pdf

Then have a look at the following document.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/about_a_design_influenced_by_choice_of_palette_solid_lines_version.pdf

Could you now have a look back at the first document and consider whether the "about" document gives an insight into the design in the original document.

So that is what a "making of" video, or a "making of" PDF or whatever can do.

It might help to plan it from back to front.

Can I explain how I mean with an example.

Suppose that someone is learning how to program a computer.

Suppose that the requirement is to calculate the area of a rectangle.

Where to start if he or she does not know how to start writing such a program.

Well, start with the output. Write software to state something like

write "The area of the rectangle is ", area, "square metres."

or however the syntax of the particular computer goes.

So, there is a variable named area and it has a value.

From where does that value come?

By putting before that output line something like

area := width * height;

Yet from where do width and height come?

Two more variables that each need a value.

Read them in from the keyboard.

So add something like the following before the calculation.

write "please input the width of the rectangle in metres ";

read width;

write "please input the height of the rectangle in metres";

read height;

So then add before all of that a declaration of the three variables.

Then a little tidying up like adding a comment of the name of the aithor and the date and there is the program.

So, for the tram map, you could start with the finished result and then work backwards.

In which order did you draw the lines. Explain how you got the lines all so precisely aligned.

Choosing the colours.

Deciding how many route lines and in which direction they need to go.

Explain the method of converting map information into the stylised diagram with its straight lines.

Where did you get the information of the tram system in Mainz?

Why choose Mainz?

I hope this helps.

William

By the way, if you have a go, please mention the river somewhere as I found that the inclusion of where the Main flows into the Rhine helped in comparing it with Google maps, and how you got it to that particular stylised shape.

William

@Joachim_L

here is the white version - already have adjusted it and corrected it too.

mai2_3.thumb.jpg.d6f7c1667760b21709e26da545d61625.jpg

• 1 year later...

@transitdiagrams Hi.
I have a doubt that maybe someone already asked you and because of my English skills I could find or understand. So I'm sorry in advanced :)

Every stroke in your subway or train map has some stops represented by dots.

Are those dots shapes placed one by one or are they made in a different way like I did in illustrator but I don't really know how to recreate with AD?
I mean, can you do something like a custom shape and then "say" to a stroke "in every node of this stroke, replace them by this shape"?
If so, don't you mind explain how? and how did you keep the apparently same distance between those stops? 

Thanks.

• 2 months later...
On 3/27/2021 at 10:49 AM, chrisdgallego said:

@transitdiagrams Hi.
I have a doubt that maybe someone already asked you and because of my English skills I could find or understand. So I'm sorry in advanced :)

Every stroke in your subway or train map has some stops represented by dots.

Are those dots shapes placed one by one or are they made in a different way like I did in illustrator but I don't really know how to recreate with AD?
I mean, can you do something like a custom shape and then "say" to a stroke "in every node of this stroke, replace them by this shape"?
If so, don't you mind explain how? and how did you keep the apparently same distance between those stops? 

Thanks.

Hey!

A stop is represented by a dot - and this is just a form with an outline, additionally these are symbols. This means you have one original dot and many linked objects to it. Facilitates if you have change bechause you only have to make in on the original and all the linked ones are updated.

I use always grids to place my objects on the art boards. That's very easy in Affinity Designer and helps a lot to keep the design clear and structured.

All the best
Chris