You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Remove white and black background issue

Menu "Filter" has two "Remove white background" and one "Remove black background" in German language. One of the "white" ones works (the lower one). If clicking one of the upper ones, nothing happens.

MacOS 10.14.6 (18G87) 
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15", Late 2013)  512GB SSD
2,3 GHz Intel Core i7  // 16 GB  

Bildschirmfoto 2019-08-19 um 10.28.54.jpg

On 8/19/2019 at 11:13 AM, MEB said:

Hi user_0815,
Thanks for your report. I'm not sure if this is indeed working as intended. I will check with the dev team and will get back to you.

Hi MEB, maybe it has already been mentioned elsewhere, but "Remove White Matte" and "Remove Black Matte" doesn't seem to do anything and has no function! But perhaps I'm just too stupid to understand what these functions should do ... hmmm ...

:)

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

5 hours ago, Puck said:

Hi MEB, maybe it has already been mentioned elsewhere, but "Remove white backgroung" and "Remove black background" doesn't seem to do anything and has no function! But perhaps I'm just too stupid to understand what these functions should do ... hmmm ...

:)

The corresponding entries on Windows (English) are

Remove White Matte
Remove Black Matte

One of their uses is to remove the thin halo effect you can get after cutting out an image

On my system both work as intended when used as described above 

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

Remove White Matte
Remove Black Matte

Of course you're right ... same on Mac.

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

Is there a solution for this problem in sight? I have exactly the same problem as user_0815: I can't remove white background (with the upper option) or black background and after reading this post I realized, I also have the option to remove the white background twice. At least through this post I found out that the lower "remove white background" works. ;-)

There's just one difference to user_0815: I'm using Affinity Photo on a pc with windows. What we have in common though is that we both use the German version.

I really hope the problem is solved soon as I can't fully work like this.

I think the problem might have started after the last update. At least everything worked fine beforehand.

x.jpg

• Staff

Hi _Maldran_,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I've seen quite a few reports of users saying this isn't working. I've checked the filters this past weekend and they are behaving as intended. I believe they are being misused. How/where are you using these? They are supposed to work only on antialiased selections and semi-transparent areas: for example to remove halos around antialiased selections/cutouts, to remove black or white from semitransparent elements (like fire flames from a black background, or the white from shadows casted from objects on a white surface to make the shadows fully transparent etc. Can you post a file/example of what you are trying to accomplish?

Hi MEB,

Thanks for your welcome. :)

As mentioned already the second "remove white background" option works perfectly. The "remove black background" option though doesn't.

To cover all bases I send you images without a specific selection and one where a specific area (the black one) is selected. In both cases the "remove black background" tool had no effect whatsoever. Once again the "remove white background" (for the who background as well as the whole "frames" when I selected these) worked perfectly.

I tend to use the white and black removal tool instead of a simple cutout, usually in combination with the selection tool. As I'm still learning to use the program better I realized this is an easier way (which forgives little inaccuracies of the selection) in comparison to simply cutting things out. At least in so obvious cases like the one displayed.

unmarkiert.jpg

markiert.jpg

• Staff

Hi _Maldran_
There's some errors in the German translation. I will log this.
The two first filters marked below in my image should work as I described in my reply above,

Only the third should work with or without selection as is intended to remove the white background from greyscale black and white drawings: black remains as is,  grey areas become semi-transparent according to the grey value and white become transparent.

filters.jpg

Ah...I got it. I had to go through some tutorials and instructions but now I got it what exactly is meant by your explanation. So this was a combination of a translation mistake and my lacking knowledge of the abilities of the program and certain functions.

If I may, I would like to explain this to user_0815 in German:

Das erste "Weißen Hintergrund entfernen" und "Schwarzen Hintergrund entfernen" bezieht sich nicht auf tatsächliche Hintergründe, sondern lediglich auf weiße oder schwarze Kanten/ Schatten auf einem transparenten Hintergrund (in der englischen Originalversion von Affinity Photo aus irgendeinem Grund "matte" genannt). Also zum Beispiel, wenn eine Person eine halo hat oder so.

Nur das zweite "Weißen Hintergrund entfernen" bezieht sich tatsächlich auf weiße Ebenen. Deshalb hat auch nur Letzteres überhaupt einen Effekt wenn man es so anwendet. :10_wink:

Thank you very much, MEB, for your time and clarification.