You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Good Morning!

I have opened a photo into the Affinity window and i want to remove an object with the Healing Tool. A small window opens up to inform me i have to select the Source. What does this mean? When i click on the tiny button at bottom left that quite clearly  indicates, "Click", nothing happens. So how do i select the Source? This window was not there before i updated Affinity. Thanks for your help.

Edited by Philip Thorpe
Misspelt word

Whenever you need to select a source for certain tools then if you hold down the Alt / Option key and click where you want to sample from then that should do the job for you.

So basically hold down Alt / Option and click somewhere to sample from, then let go of the Alt / Option key and start painting.

Hopefully that should work for you?

Best wishes,

Mark

• Staff

Hi Philip Thorpe,
I believe you are confusing it with the Inpainting Brush Tool. Click the small triangle in the Healing Brush Tool button to display a pop-up with additional tools. Select the Inpainting Brush Tool from there and paint over the object you want to erase/remove. Isn't this the one you were looking for instead? You don't have to specify any source here. - just paint over the object you want to remove.

Great minds think alike. Just mentioned this in a PM to Philip. I mentioned about turning on the Shift key to rotate between different tools in the preferences too as that keeps on catching me out all the while when going between different tools.

Hello MEB

You are quite correct. The only problem is the fact that i no longer have the Healing Brush symbol. All i have is the following: Erase Brush. Background erase brush. Flood erase brush. Paint brush. Color replacement brush. Pixel Tool. For some reason, the Healing Brush symbol is no longer visible and i am not able to activate the Inpainting Brush. 

11 hours ago, Philip Thorpe said:

Problem solved. I found the Inpainting tool in the Patch symbol

Have you also found "Customize Tools..." on the View menu? Using that option you can rearrange the order of tools in the Tools panel, add individual icons for those shared with other tools, change the number of columns, & even add separators.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, Philip Thorpe said:

Thanks R C-R. I guess my one (small) irritation with this is the fact that so many tools have the word "Brush Tool" The Inpainting for me really has nothing to do with what the brush does!

Actually, like all the other brush tools, you can use any brush in the Brushes panel with the Inpainting Brush Tool. For example, try using it with one of the Drawing or Painting category brushes, or with any of the DAUB brushes if you have them.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, djarraly said:

I have a similar issue with the healing tool, inpainting and and blemish removal. I follow the instructions of option clicking the source but when i drag or click on the area i want to change nothing happens

Do you have a pixel layer selected in the Layers panel? Pixel layers have the suffix "(Pixel)" in the panel.

Affinity Photo