You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD as a Diagramming tool

I think AD has fantastic potential to take over as my primary diagramming tool. It is still missing a few features, which I am sure have been requested already. I would like to list it down here for everyone to pitch in:

• Connectors on Shapes. Lines will snap to these connectors and stay connected as shapes are moved around
  • Lines with various end-points (arrows, dots)
  • Automatic layouts (force directed) for cleaner diagrams

With the features above, AD can replace my need for tools like Visio, Omnigraffle etc.

Please add this to your roadmap  ;)

• 1 year later...

This might be useful.

On the other hand, there a A LOT of mindmapping/diagramming tools in the market. And features like autolayout are highly specialized. It is probable you could find a perfect tool AND have it export good enough PDF/SVG to finetune in AD. That said, I still am searching rapid mindmapping tool. In the early days of multimedia I used Inspiration which combined outlining and mindmapping in to single app. Nowadays it is lacking in some other features.

But as many of us are recreating mindmaps for publications in AD or maybe using them as illustrations, features like connectors would be timesavers. 

• 5 months later...

YESSS!

Take a look at yEd http://www.yworks.com. That's what I currently use for diagramming. I've tried a bunch of tools, but either they were too low on features or too involved to get something done quickly that also looked bearable. I often need to quickly swap stuff around in a hierarchy and export again. Often while on a call.

Something that works a bit like yEd (just with easier, balanced in/out-forking) would be ace. Also remember how pretty the noodles in Shake looked? That was either a two-spline joint or auto-beziers. Something auto-pretty is always a plus.