You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

placing cropped photos from apple photos app

I have a photo on my iPad photos app.
I cropped the photo in the apple photos app and pressed done.
I then opened the affinity photo app.
I created a new document.
pressed ok
pressed commands
pressed place
pressed place from photos
opened camera roll
chose the cropped image

The problem is the image is not cropped.
The image is the full uncrossed image.

Can you help or explain why? Thank you

The Apple Photos cropping is ,non destructive'. Effectively you are just masking the areas you think are cropped. You can test this by cropping, saving and reopening then expanding the crop. The previously cropped parts of the image will be restored. Affinity Photo also works this way. To make a 'permanent, albeit destructive crop in AP you need to rasterise and clip the cropped layer.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• Staff

Hi kc2dallas,

Welcome to the forums :)

I can see you have also emailed us the same question, I will copy my response below for you!

When making changes to images via Apple Photos the original file is not affected - meaning you can always revert to the original image. This means that when you edit an image in Apple Photos, it actually creates a duplicate of this image and shows this instead of the original. This 'temporary' file isn't accessible via other applications, which is why Affinity always opens the original file from your Camera Roll. Unfortunately there's no way around this currently as far as I know, as Apple don't allow us to access the newly created image, only the original, my apologies.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• 1 year later...

The best work round I found so far are these: 

• If your iPad supports multiple windows you can just hover the photos up on top of affinity photo and drag and drop the image onto the canvas quickly. 
  • Go into the photos app, select an image, go to share and then go to copy image and then paste it directly into the canvas in affinity photo.
  • You can also long press on the photo and just hit copy and then go into affinity photo and hit paste.

All three of these methods will keep the cropping.