You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have an issue with the justified print.

I want some space after a paragraph but I also use line breaks. Same paragraph, therefore no spacing.

In justified print the lines with breaks are stretched. I attached a particularly ugly example. Where can I set this right.

I want line breaks to be just like paragraph ends, but without the spacing. (Please don't tell me to fix this manually.)

Thanks, Georg

Bildschirmfoto 2019-08-18 um 23.07.13.png

Don't use SHIFT+Return for linebreaks, but a normal Return. The above behaviour is normal - like in other programmes.

Keinen weichen Umbruch, sondern einen harten Umbruch benutzen. Obiges Verhalten ist normal in den meisten Programmen.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Just now, Headway said:

... another dirty trick: insert a tab before soft return.

Never getting to old to learn. But in the case of GrosseFreiheit a hard return is the more convenient way.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

1 hour ago, Joachim_L said:

… in the case of GrosseFreiheit a hard return is the more convenient way.

This won‘t work for him. You see, that he is using more spacing for paragraphs. What he wants, is a line break without extra space.

The only way to have a line break without additional space is (a) using an extra paragraph style or (b) using a [tab] at the end of the line.

This is a real drawback. It shouldn’t happen that a line break in justified text forces the text to be stretched out to the container width..

I think that you've identified a bug and should report it as such.  If you have a space or tab before the sort return then the line should simply justify left - that would in my opinion be the expected behaviour. If you place a soft return at the end of a word then it should justify according to the paragraph style.

Word word word word
Word word word >soft return
Word word word
Word word word word
Word word word>soft return
 Word      word     word

Thanks for all your help.

The <tab>-maneuver sounds okay, maybe I can "find-and-replace" this into the document.

I cannot agree with Joachims opinion Publishers behavior is normal in other (professional) software. This would quite frequently lead to ugly lines, just like in my case.
(Just tried the same in InDesign. There it works as I feel it should be.)

There should be at least a checkbox:
"awful linereaks on/off"

Thanks again

6 minutes ago, GrosseFreiheit said:

I cannot agree with Joachims opinion Publishers behavior is normal in other (professional) software.

But it would do this in ID or QXD. Or you need to put your forced line break at/near the end of a line with more text, or the justification is uggly.

I use this in ID with a tab when I use a list and a special character for indenting, and need paragraph in this indented list, it's easier to do than creating a second paragraph style with indentation.

In this case, some right indent tabulation* would be needed in APub.

* Those put the text after the tabulation at the right of the frame, whatever the larger of this  frame (no need to set a value to the tab, you can resize the frame and this part of the text will stay aligned to the right).

Edited by Wosven
Added comment

30 minutes ago, GrosseFreiheit said:

I cannot agree with Joachims opinion Publishers behavior is normal in other (professional) software. This would quite frequently lead to ugly lines, just like in my case. (Just tried the same in InDesign. There it works as I feel it should be.)...

No, this doesn't work as indicated in ID. Not unless this is an option in CC and I don't have a current subscription to check in.

Why not handle this the old fashioned way: two paragraph styles? One with space above, and one without?

13 minutes ago, MikeW said:

No, this doesn't work as indicated in ID. Not unless this is an option in CC and I don't have a current subscription to check in.

Why not handle this the old fashioned way: two paragraph styles? One with space above, and one without?

The image shows IDs behavior in this matter.

Why not doing it the old fashioned way?
Because we live in modern times and I want computers to help me in my work, not making it inconvenient. ;) 

Bildschirmfoto 2019-08-19 um 14.59.17.png

4 minutes ago, GrosseFreiheit said:

The image shows IDs behavior in this matter.

Why not doing it the old fashioned way?
Because we live in modern times and I want computers to help me in my work, not making it inconvenient. ;) 

Yeah, what he said...

Capture_000148.png.90a1bbd8566b31e3e7d219653445e9f6.png

8 minutes ago, Wosven said:

But your text is aligned to the left, not justified as in APub.

Uh ... right. Okay I might go putting on this hat from Mike's avatar.

I still feel, that this way it very likely leads to a horrible look. There should at least be an option to choose, like there is with the last line, that can also be stretched into uglyness.

But this is the way it should work, it's usefull sometimes but to use with parsimony), and it's important all the apps behave the same way or introduce special characters for special needs.

If the right indent tab existed in APub, you would use it for this, but it would mess your text if you need to reflow or resize text or text frames.

In your case, you'll need to use two paragraph styles, and you'll have more options with this if later you need to modify the styles or the pages.