You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP hangs when flowing plain text

adrm

I just did some simple stuff to check how the new version performs:

1. Created a new document
  2. Set up a new, simple master for a double spread: Header, footer, main text area
  3. Filled the main frame on page 1 with filler text.
  4. Added 2 pages
  5. Placed a few lines from a .TXT file on page 2
  6. Placed a long text from another .TXT file below this
  7. Shift Right-Clicked on the arrow on page 3 for autoflow

AP added new pages and showed the flowed text in the main area. Blank pages (no text visible) were added to the thumbnails on the left. AP then froze up completely while consuming 25% CPU, i.e. the application window would not even minimize.

The only way out was to terminate the process from Task Manager.

No example file is available.

You can probably provide a sample .afpub file if you File > Save it after step 6 and before step 7.

But in the meantime, a few questions come to mind just to confirm what you did.

1. In step 2, did you have a Text Frame on both the left and right sides of the Master Page?
  2. If so, did you link them together? I think you probably did.
  3. In step 6, did you place the long text in the frame on page 2, or the frame on page 3?
  4. If it was in the frame on page 2, that frame should have shown as overflowing (red eye), unless you did link the frames together on the Master Page. In that case, it would have overflowed onto page 3 automatically.
  5. Shift+Right-click would not autoflow in step 7. It should be Shift+Click. With a right-click you'd get a context menu.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I can try to reproduce it tomorrow, but odds are it will work next time :-)

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. This would be the second publication page, i.e. the first left hand page

4. Yes, it overflowed from the left side of the spread to the right, as you say.

5. Typo. I Shift-clicked

Thanks.

I didn't get a hang when I tried it. Maybe you'll be luckier :)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• Staff

Similar to Walt I've not reproduced this either, but I have had a customer before who got a hang doing a similar thing that we could never reproduce.

If you can attach the document after step 6 as suggested I'm interested to see if we can reproduce it with that document.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

APub didn't hang when flowing text, but I had a similar problem with text flowing only on the right pages (with 2 linked text frames on a master page).

It seems corrected in version .471 (flow from left to right pages), but the app seems to hang (grey out for some time), and needed a "little" bit more time to process the 250 pages and display them in the Pages panel (I'm corrently on a small Windows tablet, it's normal, it'll be better on a real computer).

It's the same with AD, when adding a lot of objects: you need to wait until the cursor get back its arrow shape as a sign it's finished the complexe task.

You can test with this file (I couldn't add the flowed one since it's 16M!).

Test_gabarit4text_to_flow.afpub

• Staff

That file hangs briefly for me, but I'd expect that since it's generating and flowing onto so many pages, and it does take the pages tab some time to render all of those when scrolling down.

In my case, it was definitely frozen. I waited 5 minutes before terminating the process, and the flowed text wasn't that all long I think (I'll have to doublecheck).

I will try to recreate, but my money is on the issue not occurring this time around :)

Ok, it's been 20 minutes now, and AP is still frozen.

I've attached the file, saved at a point right before it hangs. The text I'm trying to auto-flow is 382 A4 pages according to MS Word.

On my machine, I can reproduce the problem when I:

1. Click the eye icon (not sure if it's relevant, but try it)
  2. Shift-click the arrow to auto-flow

Hang_text1.afpub

I downloaded and tried your file.

Task Manager shows:

Affinity Publiser uses around 12% CPU time
It shows "Not responding"
And "crashpad_handler.exe" is present right under it but doesn't show any activity.

I waited 5 minutes and gave up, terminated Publisher using Task Manager.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

I've had my laptop cranking for a bit over 2 hours so far. Publisher's using a pretty steady 18-19% of the CPU, a 4 core, 8 thread image.png.166a160f8b7469625fcdb95d7663f7c4.png

It shows no signs of crashing, just taking a long time.

-- Walt
PC:

Were you able to copy-paste all the text from @adreamer 's file?

It seem I can do this with part of the 2 visible pages, and paste it in a text editor, or word processor, but I can't paste all the copied text (and APub hang some time after  if I copy all the text, no problem with part of it).

Did you tried with less text? Perhaps there's a bug or problems with some characters in part of the text in this file.

Edited by Wosven
Reformulation, to explain better

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

I've had my laptop cranking for a bit over 2 hours so far. Publisher's using a pretty steady 18-19% of the CPU, a 4 core, 8 thread image.png.166a160f8b7469625fcdb95d7663f7c4.png

It shows no signs of crashing, just taking a long time.

At about 3.5 hours it has finished flowing the text onto 1817 pages, and is now filling in the page thumbnails in the Pages panel. CPU usage has gone up to 57%. Edit: But during this process, Publisher is responsive again.

-- Walt
PC:

47 minutes ago, Wosven said:

Were you able to copy-paste all the text from @adreamer 's file?

It seem I can do this with part of the 2 visible pages, and paste it in a text editor, or word processor, but I can't paste all the copied text (and APub hang some time after  if I copy all the text, no problem with part of it).

Did you tried with less text? Perhaps there's a bug or problems with some characters in part of the text in this file.

I am not copying/pasting the text at all. Just reflowing the overflow in his .afpub filt onto the additional 1800+ pages (900+ spreads).

-- Walt
PC:

9 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

At about 3.5 hours it has finished flowing the text onto 1817 pages, and is now filling in the page thumbnails in the Pages panel. CPU usage has gone up to 57%. Edit: But during this process, Publisher is responsive again.

It has now finished drawing all the page thumbnails, and seems to be working fully, but is still using ~50% of the CPU. I'm not sure what it's doing. It took about 10-15 minutes to do the thumbnails, I think.

-- Walt
PC:

31 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It has now finished drawing all the page thumbnails, and seems to be working fully, but is still using ~50% of the CPU. I'm not sure what it's doing. It took about 10-15 minutes to do the thumbnails, I think.

And the CPU usage has now gone down to about .1-.3% if I'm not trying to interact with Publisher.

I closed the document, and reopened my saved .afpub file. CPU is back up to 88-90% while it works on the page thumbnails. That took about 2 minutes.

I've put the file up on Dropbox in case anyone wants to see it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/avyl0ekbpuwu4jh/Hang_text1-reflowed.afpub?dl=0

-- Walt
PC:

Did the test again this morning (with Hang_text1.afpub) .... Surprise !

It created and filled the new pages in about 30 seconds, maybe less, 1819 pages total. It took just a few seconds more to finish updating the pages thumbnails. So, in about one minute the whole process was over and I could keep working.

I then saved the file.... another surprise.... Publisher shut down itself with no error window or anything else. But the file has been saved. I reopened the file, it took a few seconds to load and everything was fine. Save the document under another name and it took a few seconds and I was back to work, no shut down.

Why it wasn't working yesterday.... waiting for the answer...

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

• Staff

As AlainP has said can you attach the word document? It is taking a long time to expand on mine, but a 500 page word document full of Lorem Ipsum text and minimal formatting takes minimal time on my machine, so I'm interested in the make up of the file.

1 hour ago, AlainP said:

Did the test again this morning (with Hang_text1.afpub) .... Surprise !

It created and filled the new pages in about 30 seconds, maybe less, 1819 pages total. It took just a few seconds more to finish updating the pages thumbnails. So, in about one minute the whole process was over and I could keep working. ...

I haven't been playing along, but I just downloaded the APub...I have the same experience as Alain as regards the page flowing being successful. But for myself, it flowed to all the pages in about 10 seconds, but took longer to update the thumbnails throughout the entire document. Maybe up to a full minute by the time i got to the end. But it saved just fine without issue.

I have the same experience with (the now) provided text document after a restart of APub and the creation of a new document.

• Staff

I'm finding the same as AlainP, sometimes it flows within 10 seconds and understandably takes some time then to generate previews for all the pages, and other times it seems to hang. I can't see an obvious reason as to why it is being inconsistent so I will get it logged.

Thanks