You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Best use of tools, Affinity, Affinity Design or both?

Just looking for a little guidance on the best tools for the job.

I'm a pro fly fisherman, who uses videography, photography, website and graphics design to support my fishing. Most of my photographic and graphics work is devoted to the website and video.

My video work is done in Final Cut X and Motion 5. My current photo/graphics tools are Aperture and EasyDraw. Apple is giving up on Aperture and EasyDraw is a major pain to use. I have zero interest in Adobe's overcomplicated and expensive tools.

Typical still image needs are the creation of graphics built using shapes and gradients, simple line drawing, removal and or replacement of backgrounds in photos ( e.g. object photographed against a monochrome background, then remove background), and of course typical photographic adjustment tools.

I have Affinity Photo Beta installed, but have only begun to learn it.  

With this list of requirements, Should I be looking at Affinity Photo + Designer or Aperture + Designer, seeing Designer as a replacement for EasyDraw? I will eventually buy Affinity Photo once it is out of Beta, but the learning investment, considering that Aperture meets many of my needs, will cause me to put that off for a while. As of now Affinity Photo seems to have way more capability than I need. I'm also making the assumption that there are enough operating similarities between Designer and Affinity Photo that having learned one learning the second one is much quicker, should I decide on both.

The obvious first step would seem to be swap out EasyDraw for Designer, assuming that the latter will do the job. At first glance it appears so.

Your thoughts?

• Staff

Hi pcharles,

Welcome to the forums.

Your right in saying that learning one results in learning the other one quicker due to the similarities between the programs. Another plus is that you can have your project open in Designer and switch to Photo to use some of it’s tools.

I would rather use programs that have more features and options available, just in case my needs change. So in my opinion, having both Designer and Photo side by side is the better setup.