You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Claas Lexion 750 combine harvester

Matthew Slater

43 minutes ago, Matthew Slater said:

It took a while to draw all this in Affinity Designer on my iPad.

I’m not surprised, Matthew. Beautiful work!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

First I took a series of photos of the combine working and the various plants growing at the field edge (I happened to be cycling past one working just at the right moment where I could work safely from the roadside). I imported a photo of the combine into AD and then traced over it, keeping various elements in separate layers and sampling colours from the photo as I created all the vector shapes. Then I left it for a week as I wondered what to do next as I wanted to make sure the vector work blended into any pixel based work. The landscape is just vector shapes with pixel textures painted over or clipped within. A few poppy flowers and their seedheads, together with the chamomile flowers, were drawn in a separate file, about four of each to be copied and pasted into the main image. Here, I grouped and repeatedly duplicated these plant elements and scattered them around the base of the image. I have since tweaked the image to adjust some of the perspective which was bothering me, added some faint tramlines in the corn field and reduced the effect of the texture on the body of the combine. I could have worked into it more to define the crop as oats, add more vegetation etc but after approx 10 hours work I decided to move on - and my iPad was beginning to slow down processing the image. Oh, as I work in cmyk, the rgb colours on the web look rather bright and not as balanced as the original looks.

This very complex drawing made on an iPad is nothing less than amazing. Must be a shed load of objects on a ton of layers. Affinity made the iPad worth a lot more with Designer and Photo, but it's users such as you that elevate the level of artwork that is possible on this type of hardware. Kudos! 

Home: https://vectorwhiz.com  : : : :  Portfolio blog: https://communicats.blogspot.com