You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

To the talented devs at Serif,

I am writing this message as a plea that you consider putting your talents towards developing an Affinity animation application. Something that leverages the high speed canvas render engine you have developed, to offer high speed motion graphics design.

I am an After Effects user and have grown increasingly tired of its slow, bloated and cumbersome working environment. Sadly, for 2d motion graphics work, AE has no real competitor.

I think an Affinity animation platform with a refined, modern core would be a great contender to disrupt Adobe's monopoly on 2d motion graphics. Of course I have a million ideas for what would make a great animation package. But the purpose of this message isn't to go into such details, instead it's just to test the waters and hope this is something you guys might be into?

Now THERE'S a good idea, artyr. I've been asking the devs to consider making a An "Affinity Animator" almost since Designer came out in beta, but a plug-in for Motion that allowed the import of AD assets would actually make more sense.

Affinity Animator for prototyping and animations. Love it! What do you think Affinity Team is this possible? It sounds like we're asking for a lot (and we are), but you guys are so damn good with these products ;) - would totally love to see something like that...no pressure tho :D

• 3 weeks later...

To the talented devs at Serif,

I am writing this message as a plea that you consider putting your talents towards developing an Affinity animation application. Something that leverages the high speed canvas render engine you have developed, to offer high speed motion graphics design.

I am an After Effects user and have grown increasingly tired of its slow, bloated and cumbersome working environment. Sadly, for 2d motion graphics work, AE has no real competitor.

I think an Affinity animation platform with a refined, modern core would be a great contender to disrupt Adobe's monopoly on 2d motion graphics. Of course I have a million ideas for what would make a great animation package. But the purpose of this message isn't to go into such details, instead it's just to test the waters and hope this is something you guys might be into?

A Affinity-like AE software already exists, it's called (Apple) Motion. It costs the same (and it is so powerful for a $40 software!). The plugin for Importing Affinity files is a much better and reasonable idea.

• 1 year later...

Sadly, for 2d motion graphics work, AE has no real competitor.

Have you looked at FXhome HitFilm 2017 or Smith Micro Moho and Clip Studio Paint? 

The Foundry has some interesting products as well. Though it depends what you mean by motion graphics, most if not all of these create animated GIF or video based output and are not Html CSS Animations like something for the Mac, Tumult Hype or Animator Pro plugin for the Pinegrow web editor. Smith Micro also has Motion Artist which creates animated Html5 based output though it is meant more for creating comics though you can do other types of projects with it.

• 2 years later...

On 6/21/2015 at 3:33 PM, neigh said:

Sadly, for 2d motion graphics work, AE has no real competitor.

Well… Fed up with Premiere Pro for video editing and unable to use Final Cut as I also need to work with PCs, someone told me to try DaVinci Resolve as it’s Mac/PC/Linux (really!!?) and also IT’S FREE! (there is a Pro version that costs $299, but the standard version is enough for my editing work). So they had their AE-like software called Fusion, but the free version doesn’t exist anymore as they’ve merged it into Resolve 16 (as a workspace). I ditched Premiere Pro and After Effects.

Worth a try!