You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Conveting a music PDF to jpeg

My very old photoshop is no longer working with the new windows 10 and I used to use it to open my music files and then convert them to jpeg so that they could be inserted into my word worksheet documents.  Serif Photoplus doesn't open PDF files and I had hoped that the new Affinity would.  It does but the result is gobbledy gook with music converted to sort of letters and not just as it is.  This is not as good as photoshop used to be and so I assume it is even better now.  Does anyone have a solution? I am uninstalling it because all my pdf files have been corrupted!

Note pairs 2 for Treble Ws 7.pdf

Looks like Affinity Photo or Affinity Designer needs the NWC2STDA font to represent the notation

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I am uninstalling it because all my pdf files have been corrupted!

Don’t worry, it hasn’t corrupted your files: it’s simply unable to interpret the embedded fonts. As @firstdefence has hinted, it should work fine if you have the NWC2STDA font installed.

By the way, unless you want to attract the attention of spammers I strongly recommend that you change your username to something other than an email address. To do this, go to your Account Settings page and click on the ‘Display Name’ link.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, hard worker said:

Thanks and I have changed my username.  

That’s better!

1 hour ago, hard worker said:

How did you know I use notworthy software and can I download the font for Affinity? if so I might reinstall it but I find it very complicated to use.

Nobody made any reference to NoteWorthy Composer until now, but @firstdefence obviously saw the missing font notification when he opened the PDF file. Anyway, you only need to reinstall NWC2 so that the font becomes available again: you don’t actually need to use the rest of the software.

Alfred spacer.png

8 hours ago, MikeW said:

One can always live in hope...

I’m aware that some (Adobe?) software sandboxes its fonts, but I did actually have a trial version of NoteWorthy Composer on my Windows machine a while back and I’m pretty sure that fonts like NWC2STDA showed up elsewhere.

Alfred spacer.png

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

I’m aware that some (Adobe?) software sandboxes its fonts, but I did actually have a trial version of NoteWorthy Composer on my Windows machine a while back and I’m pretty sure that fonts like NWC2STDA showed up elsewhere.

Likely the font will show up, even in Affinity applications. 

But if they are like many old music fonts, it will be a symbol font. And how they are mapped in the PDF will affect Affinity's applications ability to map them.

19 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Likely the font will show up, even in Affinity applications. 

But if they are like many old music fonts, it will be a symbol font. And how they are mapped in the PDF will affect Affinity's applications ability to map them.

All good points, as usual! No doubt the OP will let us know if simply reinstalling NWC2 doesn’t solve the problem.

Alfred spacer.png

I have had Noteworthy software on my PC all this time and I just updated it to the newest version.  I opened it up and copied the font into my fonts folder but it doesn't work with affinity still.  I shall try Ifanview sugested by Fixx and let you know how I get on.

18 minutes ago, hard worker said:

InfanView doesn't open my pdf files

IrfanView will open PDF files, but not without the help of Ghostscript. And you need the correct ‘bittage’ of GS: 32-bit or 64-bit, depending on which version of IrfanView you’re trying to use.

Alfred spacer.png

6 minutes ago, hard worker said:

I did download the 64 bit version with ghostscript but couldn't work out how to use it.

I put a pdf file in and it wouldn't open it.

IrfanView should find Ghostscript automatically if it’s installed to the default location. Have you installed the IrfanView plugins package?

5 minutes ago, hard worker said:

Are talkhelper aor Docufreezer safe.  My windows has blocked opening as unknown authors.

Where are you seeing alerts about those?

Alfred spacer.png

• Staff

If you don't wish to install further third party software a 'dirty' workaround could be to open your PDF documents in any reader (such as Google Chrome), then use Windows Snipping tool to take a snapshot of your document, then save this as a JPEG - however you're unlikely to get the best quality JPEG from this. 
Note pairs 2 for Treble Ws 7.jpg

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

2 hours ago, hard worker said:

I opened it up and copied the font into my fonts folder but it doesn't work with affinity still.

There have been reports of people having problems with NWC2STDA - try installing the .ttf file rather than just placing it in the fonts folder (right click, open with the font viewer and then install).

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

If you don't wish to install further third party software a 'dirty' workaround could be to open your PDF documents in any reader (such as Google Chrome), then use Windows Snipping tool to take a snapshot of your document, then save this as a JPEG - however you're unlikely to get the best quality JPEG from this. 

Nice. And generally a really bad "solution."

Of course, Serif could just fix its import of PDFs, seeing how their (Affinity applications) can only as of yet open a PDF for editing. And while a truly good PDF passthrough feature would alleviate much of these issues, there are times one needs to edit such PDFs.

The issue, with this and other such PDFs, I believe, could be rectified by the originating software changing from using a symbol font (it really isn't needed) to a (now) Unicode font. But that isn't the issue here.

As well, the PDF print driver (here, PrimoPDF) could be more explicit in handling such a symbol font in writing the PDF, especially if the font was dual encoded. Probably.

The issue as I see it is Affinity applications are not decoding such a PDF that has the symbol bit flag set properly. Like say, CorelDraw.

1 hour ago, MickRose said:

Have you tried Foxit software?

Foxit won't convert to image, only simple text (at least in the free version), it's an usefull program (with annotations and its pen tool), but not for this.

You can convert to JPEG or have your missing fonts converted to curves with inkScape, this can be a better solution if you need to enlarge the page:

1 minute ago, Wosven said:

...converted to curves with inkScape, this can be a better solution if you need to enlarge the page.

This.

At least if InkScape has a signed installer these days due to the OP's security concerns.