You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

hyphenation German?

Hi, the hyphenation in German is not intensiv. Ok, I set 3 char. as minimum. Two points:

1. if it works in an single case it is hard to delete it. Is there a way to inactivate a single auto-hyphenation? 

2. is there a bigger language pack? Thx, lars

all Aff 2.2: Capture One+ 23 pro; MacBook Pro, OSX 10.15.7,  Fuji X-Pro2 

Can you clarify what you mean by #2?

More languages for the User Interface? Or more for spell-checking?

In either case, which languages are you interested in?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi, a languages pack in German which is able to do more hyphenation as I get now (no spell checking for me). In a small text I just wrote this system sets one (-) and I five. It seems not that this system learns by doing, isn´t?

I saw now, the (-) by hyphenation is linked to the character before, if auto or handmade. To delete it again it deletes not the (-) but this character; terrible. One must delete the word to change it. Reg. lars

By the way: if in a text are used charakters in Italic (marked and cmd-i) it is set as fat. One can change it above left to normal. But if one tried out other formats and/ or goes back to the old one, the fat Italic is back again; may be hard work to change it again. How is normal set as first used? Thx. lars

5 hours ago, larsh said:

By the way: if in a text are used charakters in Italic (marked and cmd-i) it is set as fat. One can change it above left to normal. But if one tried out other formats and/ or goes back to the old one, the fat Italic is back again; may be hard work to change it again. How is normal set as first used? Thx. lars

Sorry, but I don't understand that. Can you provide a screenshot or video?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, garrettm30 said:

Ah, I think he meant "bold" rather than fat.

Yes, bold = Fett = fat. However, the issue is that selecting ‘Kursiv/italic’ should not also make the text ‘Fett/bold’.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Sorry! BOLD! I knows it, but in this moment... My last english lessions are nearly 60 years ago, and since this time I only had a few time to get breakfast in this language...

The main problem is not, that the first time Italic bold is set. But that later if used another textstyle or again the same as first set, the bold comes back. It looks that in the textstyle what is given by Affinity this is the preset. But where? To have a paragraph with 20 or more Italic set words and it must done again is not so fine. Thanks, lars

5 minutes ago, larsh said:

Sorry! BOLD! I knows it, but in this moment... My last english lessions are nearly 60 years ago, and since this time I only had a few time to get breakfast in this language...

Sorry for the off-topic comment, Lars...Trust me, your English lessons have remained with you far longer than my German lessons have from a similar era in my life. My youngest son's German lessons have stuck with him, but he also has a couple German friends he stays in touch with, both via the phone and emails.

10 minutes ago, larsh said:

Sorry! BOLD! I knows it, but in this moment... My last english lessions are nearly 60 years ago, and since this time I only had a few time to get breakfast in this language..

No problem. I was only trying to help bridge the gap in communication, not to pick on you. 

3 hours ago, larsh said:

My last english lessions are nearly 60 years ago, and since this time I only had a few time to get breakfast in this language...

My last German lessons were 53 years ago, and your English is much better than my German.

Do you see this problem with other fonts, or only with Times?

Something odd is happening, perhaps with that font. When I use Ctrl+I (on Windows) to get Italic for a different font (I don't have Times) only the I button is selected. And if I use the font style pulldown to set Bold Italic both the B and I buttons are selected. But from your video, when you used Cmd+I you got the I button (and not the B button) but the font style changed to Bold Italic (Fett, Kursiv).

-- Walt
PC:

Hi, you are right: it is a Times special. Using Arial or Times new roman it works fine. But changing then to Times: Italic is bold. It is the same to choose Times in one of the pull down menues or set the text style with Times. Ok, will live with it. Regards, lars

Hi, I was wrong to think TIMES and TIMES NEW ROMAN are different. It looks so by marking text, but the result is equal. And Blurb accepts TNR.

Another question: Can the master page block in all pages what is set and written there; so that for instance the footline text cannot be changed ? Thx. lars

On 8/18/2019 at 4:28 PM, larsh said:

1. if it works in an single case it is hard to delete it. Is there a way to inactivate a single auto-hyphenation?

One way is to place a soft hyphen at the start of the word. If a word has soft hyphens anywhere in it, they will be used instead of the auto dictionary-based hyphenation, and if there is just one at the start of the word it prevents auto-hyphenation altogether for that word.

Another way is to mark it as No break. This can be done from the Positioning and Transform section of the Character panel, or as a paragraph or character style.

On 8/18/2019 at 6:50 PM, larsh said:

I saw now, the (-) by hyphenation is linked to the character before, if auto or handmade. To delete it again it deletes not the (-) but this character; terrible. One must delete the word to change it. Reg. lars

I think that's reasonable behaviour for auto-hyphens, but I agree it would be better if soft hyphens could be deleted like that. In fact, if you switch on Show Special Characters, it shows the soft hyphen as being moved to the start of the next line. I'll log this to be reviewed.

Hi, Dave. Thanks. The set the hyphen in front works, but sometimes the hyphen only shall moved inside the word... One can delete hyphen and the linked character and delete forward the hyphen (set the special charakters to bee seen).  I don´t find the "no break" – but that is not importend for me! I only need very short text. But for a longer one, as I have to do it often in my writing tool (OpenO.), it is all to complicated. In OpenO the normal and soft Hyphen is to delete with one: Back. This is needed here. Reg. lars

1 hour ago, larsh said:

I don´t find the "no break"

Just so you know, in case it's important for something else someday:

image.png.1ff8e2d4e24692b3531d8927019af73e.png

-- Walt
PC:

Oh. I didn´t use this frame but in the textstyle: Pos.+Trans. To make the hook at Ohne Wechsel happens what is seen in the screenshot. Best, lars

nobreak.jpeg

Hi, I marked the paragraph. But if only the word "Abstrak-tion" is marked – the hook does nothing. May be this word is not cut by auto-h. But users who need it shall clear it, if it happens. I will do it by hand. Thanks, lars

If you have both No break and a soft hyphen in a word, the soft hyphen wins and the word is broken. This is because No break can be applied as part of a style, so is more likely to be part of some general policy, where-as the soft hyphen has to be inserted into the specific word, so the user is more likely to have considered exactly what they want for this particular instance.