You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I downloaded the new version of affinity photo two days ago.  I tried to add some new brushes which I downloaded from Brusheezy.com (4 different brushes all Abr. files)

The brushes will not load.  I keep getting this message "Error importing brushes".  Cannot find any information or help on this problem.  Are other people having this problem?

Using Affinity Photo 1.7.7700  , Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, I7, 3.60Ghz

Have you tried downloading the brushes again? Maybe link to the brushes so we can take a look and download them.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I downloaded four different brushes from Brusheezy.com   (24 Cloud brushes by Mila Vasileva), (20 Powder PS Brushes ABR Vol.3),  (20 Water Texture Brushes) and (20 Dispersion PS Brushes Abr Vol 15).

After trying several times to download them into Affinity,  I decided to downloaded all these files into my Photoshop elements 2018.  No problem, they loaded and work fine in Photoshop.

Still unable to load them into Affinity Photo.

• Staff

Hi gregory ciencin,

Welcome to the forums :)

Unfortunately .ABR import was broken in the latest version of Affinity Photo this is something our developers are currently looking into I'm sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you.

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/19/2019 at 6:26 AM, Callum said:

Hi gregory ciencin,

Welcome to the forums :)

Unfortunately .ABR import was broken in the latest version of Affinity Photo this is something our developers are currently looking into I'm sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you.

C

Is there a time line for this fix?

Just to add my "two-penneth", I do feel that if a problem/bug is introduced in a new version (one which wasn't there in the previous version), then priority should be given to sorting it out and correcting the screw-up, not just adding it to a long list of other bug fixes! Once you come to rely on a tool/feature/whatever, it can cause real problems if it suddenly stops working just because you install an update, (which you should be able to assume would make it better, not worse).

Please rather than messing around with tools (like shadow/highlights and noise reduction) which a lot of people thought were better before you messed with them, sort out the actual bugs, especially new ones that you've just introduced!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Thanks, PaulEC, I agree with your comments.

As of today 9/11/19 the Abr. problem still has not been fixed.  I cannot add any new brushes to the new version of Affinity Photo.

I still have to use Photoshop to use the new brushes.  So I am switching back and forth between the two programs..."not good"

I would like to hear from others users with this problem, I don't think I'm the only one???

• Staff
On 9/11/2019 at 1:57 PM, PaulEC said:

Just to add my "two-penneth", I do feel that if a problem/bug is introduced in a new version (one which wasn't there in the previous version), then priority should be given to sorting it out and correcting the screw-up, not just adding it to a long list of other bug fixes! Once you come to rely on a tool/feature/whatever, it can cause real problems if it suddenly stops working just because you install an update, (which you should be able to assume would make it better, not worse).

Please rather than messing around with tools (like shadow/highlights and noise reduction) which a lot of people thought were better before you messed with them, sort out the actual bugs, especially new ones that you've just introduced!

Hi PaulEC,
That exactly what we do (or try to). This issue should be fixed in the next build (Windows and Mac). I'm sorry for the inconvenience this is causing you.

---

Hi Gregory ciencin,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
This is known issue introduced recently that affects all users (not just you). As said above it should be fixed in the next/upcoming build. Again our apologies for the inconvenience/frustration this is causing. It shouldn't take longer until the new build becomes available.

Just bought and downloaded Affinity Photo for Windows, after installing it tried to import my Photoshop custom Brushes (.abr files) and received the "Error importing brushes" error message..

Is there maybe a previous version available for download where this functionality still works? (currently I have version 1.7.2.471)

When will this be fixed? IS there another way of getting my custom brushes to work (e.g. saving the .abr files to a specific path)?

Thanks!

I know people are irritated about this, and I'm dealing with the same problem of trying to import brushes, but Affinity Photo users need to have a little patience.  I'm a senior systems engineer and software developer, too, and this stuff takes time.  We can assume these are not a bunch of slack-jawed troglodytes keeping this program going.  I guarantee the developers are not just chillin' in the breakroom and laughing at the comments about people not being able to import brushes.

I love the software, and I understand how bugs and errors happen.  Keep doing what you're doing.  You're producing and supporting a great product, and I appreciate it.  I haven't used Photoshop for anything since I bought Photo.  If there were any other function I'd love to see, it's being able to import Lightroom presets into the RAW processor, because I bought a bunch of them thinking I'd be able to import them into Photoshop, and then export them, sort of like a layers collection, into Affinity Photo.  Well, it doesn't stinkin' work, so I got a bunch of presets for nothin'.  That's frustrating.  And I don't even own Lightroom (and don't want to).  Anyway, just food for thought.

Keep up the good work.

Tony

I think the 1.7.3 beta's have this sorted but before a proper release they are just making sure it works correctly.

I don't think the Mac beta has been released yet?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions