You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

After update can't import PSD brushes.

• Staff

Changes have been made to .abr import in Affinity in the latest 1.7.2 update, it should prevent corrupted brushes from installing. However from some quick test it seem to prevent most brush packs I've tried that I had installed previously. Once back at work I will do some more testing to confirm and let the developers know.

I think over the years I became a digital brush hoarder. Last week I spent some time organizing about a third of my brushes and exporting them as affinity brush sets. Taking on the task of organizing my PSD brushes stalled and crashed my Af. Photo program several times. Sometimes I used the windows task manager to shut down Af. Photo. Every time I used the task manager to shut down the program the brush sets I created were deleted. The only brushes that were available to me were the ones that came with the program. So I learned to export any changes I made to my personal brush sets several times so I could reinstall them if I needed to.  I really hope Af. can come up with a better way to organize brushes. ;)

20 hours ago, Lee D said:

However from some quick test it seem to prevent most brush packs I've tried that I had installed previously.

it is the same for me -- most won't install (resulting in the 'unexpected format' error) but a few install without any issues. Annoyingly, there seems to be no obvious reason for this difference I can see -- it is not related to the size of the .abr file, how many brushes it includes, or the vintage or source of the files.

The existence of this bug brings to mind two things:

1. It is more important than ever to make .afbrushes backups of all added brush categories that came from .abr files, because if it is ever necessary or desirable to reset the brushes to factory defaults, there is no way to get them all back until such time as this bug is resolved.
  2. We really, really need a more user friendly & less tedious way to backup not just individual brush categories but all of the categorized items that any factory reset wipes out. If nothing else, a 'batch' backup of each categorized item that saved them to individual category files in a folder somewhere would work.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

We really, really need a more user friendly & less tedious way to backup not just individual brush categories but all of the categorized items that any factory reset wipes out. If nothing else, a 'batch' backup of each categorized item that saved them to individual category files in a folder somewhere would work.

I'll 2nd that!

Windows 10 Pro (Desktop). Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.9.2

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/18/2019 at 6:50 PM, Lee D said:

Changes have been made to .abr import in Affinity in the latest 1.7.2 update, it should prevent corrupted brushes from installing. However from some quick test it seem to prevent most brush packs I've tried that I had installed previously. Once back at work I will do some more testing to confirm and let the developers know.

Any word on this Sir? Still waiting for a solution. 

46 minutes ago, haakoo said:

If you look at the beta forums you can find a new beta version which should have a fix for this problem

But unless I am missing something, there is as yet no beta that fixes this for the Mac version. :(

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

27 minutes ago, haakoo said:

I'm sorry you feel neglected by using the wrong OS but you'll probably will get it to some day:P

Until then, I guess I will just have to console myself with access to the Apple Color Picker & global System color palettes, in-app support for acquiring scanner images, a choice of two developer engines, Quick Look generator previews, & such that my wrong OS choice offers to Mac Affinity users. :P:P:P

Affinity Photo