You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

crash while scrolling v1.7.2

Lieven

• Staff

Good to know it's improved, we've always struggled to consistently reproduce some of the scrolling crashes we hear about.

I've grabbed one of the files you have sent us previously and scrolled around and not had a crash, if you see it again can you attach the crash report?

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Will do so. At the moment the file is a lot bigger than the one you have (ca 400+ linked images, 200+ populated A4 pages). 

It seems that when scrolling slowly, there is a lot of disk activity. Sometimes the images on the page are blurred, you'll have to wait a second or so to see a sharp image.

Also when opening the resource manager for the first time, i have to wait a second or 10 to have a responsive program: during this 10 seconds Publisher is "not responding" (message shown).

Just scrolled through my file, relatively fast, and after a page or 10 scrolled by... crash... with report. it's attached.

Thx for the efforts and congrats to the team!

3c546574-9a8d-42db-a72c-7cc8cf8c3484.dmp

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that Affinity crashes when it has to load linked images. When you jump to a page, the images are displayed a short time in low res, after that they are displayed in high res. So far so good.

But sometimes , the lowres images stays on the screen and the the app crashes.

You also hear the disk spinning when you go to a new page. I always wait till this diskspinning stops before i do anything on the page. When working this way i can more or less push back the crashes.

• Staff

Thanks Lieven, I have noticed that based on where it is crashing in some of the crash reports (but not all, Jims crash reports are slightly different for example) that it was crashing in areas of code related to loading the "low res" images, unfortunately I'm still struggling to reproduce the crash on scrolling consistently. But it's also interesting as zooming in/out should cause it more frequently because it uses these low res images when zooming, yet the reports I've seen mostly come from scrolling (although I'd assume zooming would also cause it for yourself and Jim)

From what I understand, linking/embedding shouldn't make a difference, if you embed all the files do you find it prevents the crash?

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com