You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,
I use Affinity Photo 1.7.2 on a PC with:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1;
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+;
8 GB ram memory;
Nvidia Geforce GT 640 2GB dedicated memory.

Everything works fine but, I detect this 'malfunction':
- I open the program the opening logo is all black (see image)

https://imgur.com/ldhXAxq

- the welcome window with black squares (see image)

https://imgur.com/AXioZ5l

- the desktop opens with Persona logos, some Tools and menu icons always black (see image)

https://imgur.com/Zaeo3yc

Despite the problematic visibility, everything works well.
Do you think it's possible to fix this very annoying situation?
Thank you...

P.S. I hope I explained myself well, I apologize for English (Google)

What are the settings in Preferences: Performance?

Do you have the latest graphic card drivers?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thanks for your answer,

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

What are the settings in Preferences: Performance?

for what concerns the Preferences Performance (see image)

https://imgur.com/qYT4DQd

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

Do you have the latest graphic card drivers? 

Yes, the drivers are updated to the latest version.
Another anomaly, always visualization, when I go to the Archive and choose Pixabay I see all the images (see image),
https://imgur.com/QqiipjO
if I choose Unsplash or Pexels the picture is all black but, if I pass the mouse we read what it is (see image),
https://imgur.com/gnsasDl
 needless to add that if I drag the photo onto the document everything works very well.

I add that the PC works well and no software installed suffers from these anomalies.

Thank you for your cooperation and the time you spend ...

• Staff

Hi foto-grafic :)

Sorry to see this, it certainly isn't one I've come across before! I'm relatively certain this is GPU related - I appreciate that you have the latest versions of your drivers installed but I'd recommend uninstalling your current and all old drivers (to remove any corrupt drivers) then downloading and installing the latest version from a ''clean' state.

You can use DisplayDriverUninstaller (https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html) to completely remove your current and previous drivers, then download the latest version from Nvidia directly -

https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/148881

After uninstalling/reinstalling, please restart your PC, then open Affinity. Has this resolved this issue for you?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

@Dan C

Ho eseguito alla lettera i tuoi consigli:
- con DDU ho cancellato tutto;
- scaricato direttamente l'ultima versione da Nvidia e installata.
Il risultato però non è stato positivo, in effetti non è cambiato assolutamente niente.

Se hai altri suggerimenti...mille grazie per la collaborazione...
_________________________________________________________________________________

I followed your advice to the letter:
- with DDU I deleted everything;
- directly downloaded the latest version from Nvidia and installed.
The result, however, was not positive, in fact absolutely nothing has changed.

If you have other suggestions ... thank you very much for your cooperation ...

• Staff

Many thanks for trying that, I'm very sorry to hear it hasn't helped.

Could you please check the following list of applications and let me know if you're using any of these? 

Also, are you by chance running the app/the OS via a remote desktop connection?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

@Dan C

7 hours ago, Dan C said:

Could you please check the following list of applications and let me know if you're using any of these?  

No, none of these.

7 hours ago, Dan C said:

Also, are you by chance running the app/the OS via a remote desktop connection? 

No, no remote connection.

I am passionate about photography and I also enjoy the graphics, even though my PC is not exactly brand new it does its job very well, I also have a well-calibrated Eizo 24" monitor.
I still use Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator CS4 versions and the choice of Affinity Photo was to try something new at an affordable price since Adobe is too expensive for me.
Too bad for this problem, I have to say that for the rest the program works well.
If it can be useful I did a test:
I downloaded and installed the Affinity Designer trial version;
Well, it has the same problem as Affinity Photo.
Obvious that there is some problem between Serif and my PC, I think that sooner or later I will have to change it.

Thank you for taking the time ... if you have any other ideas ...

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know.

Do you have a custom ICC profile set against your monitor? If you change this to a default sRGB profile, do the icons return to normal?

Hello,

I took your advice:
- I restored the original SRGB but, nothing has changed.

I am not a professional but an amateur and I make a consideration:
I think it is possible that a profiling of a well-made monitor can affect the colors indeed, it serves just that but, it does not upset them; I mean I don't think it can make something that is white become black.
Of course I could also be wrong, I am not the possessor of absolute truths.

Thanks for your patience___

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that, Affinity apps actively convert colours from document colour profile to screen colour profile, meaning if you have a different profile set against your monitor than you have set in Affinity the app will try to account for this, however we've seen certain conversions don't work as expected if there's a corruption in the colour profile - which I thought may have been causing these black icons - I'm sorry to hear that's not the case.

If you don't mind, we'd like a list of all installed apps on your machine so our team can investigate this further as we aren't currently certain on what's causing this!

Could you please follow the steps found here, and attach a copy of the .txt generated here? If you wish to keep this list private then you can upload it to the following Dropbox link, many thanks for your continued patience here.

https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/generate-a-list-of-installed-programs-in-windows/

https://www.dropbox.com/request/qiIyfWSSrvIT5lRyEpIp

• Staff

I really appreciate that, thank you.

From what I can see, I think the following app is causing these issues - ScreenManager Pro for LCD (DDC/CI) - as this app overlays across anything on your monitor and may be conflicting with Affinity.

I've tried to download the app and run it here to see if I receive the same results, but I don't have a compatible EIZO monitor, so I unfortunately can't launch the app.

Could you please closing your Affinity apps, open Task Manager and end the task that relates to the ScreenManager Pro - and double check it's gone from your taskbar for the time being.

Reopen Affinity and check your icons, are they coloured correctly?

Here I am,
disabled - ScreenManager Pro for LCD (DDC / CI) - as you asked me to do but, my dear friend, nothing has changed, everything remains immutable.
The very fact that whatever we do we don't even have the slightest change makes me think:
an absolute neophyte thought, but is it that while we are looking for something that is in conflict with Affinity instead, something is missing? I mean isn't it that Affinity needs a service that's not there?
I beg you not to laugh, I say this because it occurred to me that during installation Affinity uploaded a Microsoft.net (at least I remember it) and it took a long time.
If I said nonsense, please forgive me.

Thanks Dan for the effort you put into helping me___

• Staff

Thanks for trying that, I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this.

18 hours ago, foto-grafic said:

I say this because it occurred to me that during installation Affinity uploaded a Microsoft.net (at least I remember it) and it took a long time.

It certainly could be a slightly corrupted .NET installation causing this. Could you please follow the instructions at the following link to repair your version of .NET? If you scroll down there is a section here for Windows 7 -

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/open-programs/manually-repair-or-reinstall-microsoft-net-framework/00/203709

Hi Dan,

I too have no doubt that sooner or later we will arrive at the result, I am one who is not easily discouraged especially if I have a valid interlocutor like you.
We come to the point:
I followed the indicated procedure step by step;
on the system there is Microsoft.NET Framework 3.5.1;

Servizi.jpg.d9368439993d9c81b52f724d555a6cd4.jpg

I tell you the truth, after the repeated system restarts I expected to have some good news to give and instead, unfortunately, nothing has changed - everything remains immutable.

I look forward to another idea___ Thanks a lot and good WE___

• Staff

Thank you for the screenshot, if you scroll to the top of this list, are further .NET versions shown?

I've another thing to try, please make sure Photo is closed, then open Windows Run, type CMD and hit OK.

In the command prompt that opens, type the following:

cd "C:\Program Files\Affinity\Affinity Photo\" Press Enter

Photo.exe --no-hw-ui Press Enter

This should launch the app and it will no longer be using the GPU to render the hardware. Has this helped?

• Staff

My sincerest apologies that we've yet been unable to determine the cause of this.

I've been doing some testing on a Windows 7 machine here and I haven't been able to replicate this issue, regardless of the apps I have installed, or the colour profile in use.

Unfortunately the only other thing I can suggest currently is to systematically begin removing other applications from your computer in the hope that one of these is causing the issue - however this an arduous process and I understand should you not want to continue here.

Agreeably this is not correct, but could you please confirm, all of the icons/tools still work as expected, simply the aren't being drawn correctly? 

Hi Dan,
you don't have to apologize, I realize that this problem is difficult to solve; indeed, I thank you for the precious collaboration.
I am increasingly convinced that the defect does not come from Affinity but from Windows 7, I have been using this SO for many years and, I remembered that after an update the PC was malfunctioning and it took a long time to put everything in place.
Because of this for a long time I haven't updated regularly, I think this is the key to the problem; I must point out that I have never had this kind of problem with all the programs I use and have used.
Regarding your final question, I repeat that until I write to you:
- the completely Black program opening logo;
- the welcome window with Black logo and windows;
- some tool icons appear Black (see image);

Strumenti.jpg.ae23eb401132a71c6c48bf68069fa695.jpg

- icons for choosing the top menu bar Black;
- the icons of choice of Black Panels (Studio).
I also point out that the problem is only 'aesthetic' in fact it only creates visibility problems (black icon on a dark background).
I tried the program according to my needs long enough and apart from the Black of logo and icons everything else works well and satisfies me, I haven't noticed any other malfunctions.

I will follow your advice, I will try to eliminate other programs to understand if there is a conflict, of course this will take a long time but, if there should be any news I will notify you ...
Thanks a lot...

• 6 months later...

@Dan C

It seemed to me to be my duty to warn that the problem from the first moment with AP is finally SOLVED.
I thought you would have liked (since you were very dedicated) to know how I got to the solution and make the experience available to the forum in case some other user has the same difficulty:

Yesterday, following the forum, I read the discussions that I thought were most interesting; among others this:
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/108667-tan-whites-after-windows-update/

the first response to the request was a reference to this [FAQ]:
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/99523-faq-the-apps-canvas-is-not-white-whats-happening/

I read and reread it a few times, then I decided to check; I performed the procedure described with the due variations because they are on Win 7 Pro Ultimate.
In short, in Color Management I selected the sRGB Colo Space Profile.icm  sRGB IEC61966-2.1  profile for the monitor and I set it as the default profile.

Off, on again, I open Affinity Photo and 'miracle' for the first time the color loading logo appeared (first it was a black rectangle) then after the upload I could see that everything, absolutely everything, became normal (see image) .

Screen.jpg

• Staff

Hi foto-grafic,

That's wonderful news, I'm very glad to hear this!

Do you know what ICC profile was in use before changing this to the default sRGB? Can you possibly provide a copy of this profile so I can log it with our development team?

Many thanks for providing this update here, as hopefully it may help other users who experience the same issue :)