You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pdf conversation issues

• Staff

Are you using Artistic text or Frame Text and when exporting to PDF what is the Rasterise option set to? After exporting to PDF, are you wanting to open the file to edit the text if so, which app are you using to do this?

I’ve encountered this apparent bug as well.  V1.7.2.6.  When exporting to PDF, all text characters are converted to individual vector outlines, not editable text, regardless of export settings I’ve tried, or font used.  Import of PDF text works fine.  Have confirmed this using AD, PDF Expert, and Graphic, all on an iPad.  I read previously in a post from Oct. 2018 that this is a bug not present in AD for Mac, only in AD for iPad.

Here are the steps to easily reproduce this apparent bug:

1. Create a new document in Affinity Designer for iPad
  2. Create a text frame and type something
  3. Export the document as a PDF, using the “PDF (for export)” preset
  4. Import this same document back into AD for iPad

A couple screenshots are attached.  In the “before” image, the text is text.  In the “after” image, the individual text characters have been transformed into vector shapes by the export process.  Would be happy if Affinity looked into this, as there are currently workflows where I have to avoid using Affinity Designer for iPad.  There is no such problem performing these same steps on AD for Mac.

ADIP File For Export as PDF.PNG

ADIP PDF File Imported.PNG

I just saw that this exact same issue on ADi was reported about a year ago, so maybe this is just a +2 bump to hopefully get some priority on fixing it.  I use a number of other vector drawing apps on the iPad for different tasks, Graphic, Concepts, Graphio, OmniGraffle.  ADi is unique in its inability to export text to a PDF.  Hoping there’s a quick simple fix, as others, including the Mac AD dev team, know how to do this.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/68884-adi-importingexporting-pdf-on-ipad-designer/

• 4 weeks later...

Are other folks in the community consistently seeing this?  (Exported text always being converted into curves in PDF’s, no matter the PDF export setting)

Anyone have a good workaround?

I've noticed that in preferences, there is a place to apparently load additional fonts; has anyone had luck exporting a PDF with editable text (vs. converted to curves text) by loading fonts into and using fonts from this area?

Thanks.

85F7D619-CFA1-4727-984B-CAD2ABC6CB28.png

• 5 months later...

@Sean P I can confirm that the photo beta gm is exporting PDF text correctly.
I can open and edit exported PDF text in Documents/PDF Expert. Prior to gm version this was not possible.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Serif/Affinity folks!  I tested a released version of 1.8.2 which handled 2 of the 4 fonts I tried as desired.  Just tested a released version of 1.8.3 and all 4 fonts exported as desired (as editable text vs being converted to curves).