You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I had a number of very primitive SVGs to make some adjustments (resizing etc. – see attachment)…

But whenever I open these .svg files (from several different sources), the contents show up 180 degrees ROTATED in Affinity Designer (1.7.2, macOS)!
Please try it with attached file. Opens fine and upright in Safari, Chrome, Firefox… 
In Affinity Designer however, after opening this SVG the Curves are upside down in the document. While upright in the Navigator Preview.

Then, I select the object and set Rotation 180. After that it's upside down in the Navigator Preview.
And, most annoyingly, after exporting to SVG, it renders upside down in the browsers too!

What is going on?

I have follow-up questions to this, but the rotation-issue is the most disturbing right now.

Thanks for checking and improving. I like Affinity Designer very much, besides some weird issues now and then.

youtube.svg

Edited by vitamint

1 hour ago, vitamint said:

Please try it with attached file. Opens fine and upright in Safari, Chrome, Firefox… 
In Affinity Designer however, after opening this SVG the Curves are upside down in the document. While upright in the Navigator Preview.

Everything is opening right side up for me, regardless of what app I open it with, Affinity Designer 1.7.2 included.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Opens correctly for me too, the bounding box is correctly set, it exports correctly and opens in safari and Firefox correctly too.

See if this SVG does the same, this is from my icons8 app icons8-youtube_filled.svg

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thanks for testing the file!

I have deleted ~/Library/Preferences/com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner.plist now but that didn't help.
And it was't recreated after relaunching Designer, while I could't find any other Preferences files. So I will try to reinstall the app.
Very bizarre issue however. And it doesn't happen with some other SVG that was exported from Adobe Illustrator.

But the same problem occurs with the SVG file from firstdefence – see scrennshot, right after opening looks like this:

1805501879_Screenshot2019-08-18at16_39_17.png.6df0618274683e85fad938b7160e9c72.png

Edited by vitamint
tiny typo

18 minutes ago, vitamint said:

I have deleted ~/Library/Preferences/com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner.plist now but that didn't help.

That isn't surprising because that file just stores some settings relevant to "ILMediaBrowser" file searches. "IL" stands for iLife, which is how Apple refers to the sidebar "Media" section in Open dialog windows in apps like Affinity that support it. It is updated automatically by the OS when you use the Media section to browse through photos stored in Apple Photos Libraries & a few other Apple apps that use Libraries, but it has nothing to do with Affinity app user preferences.

Affinity Designer user preferences & several other files relevant to its normal operation are stored elsewhere in a set of up to around 75 (!!) files. The exact location varies depending on if you bought Designer from the Mac App Store ("MAS") or the Affinity store, but there is little point in searching for & deleting them all, which in extreme cases can cause more issues than it solves.

Instead, launch the app with the Control key held down, which brings up the "Clear User Data" window (a.k.a. the Reset window). It looks like this:

Reset.jpg.bdf348b5211a4528ef71b5868a38cade.jpg

Usually, clearing the 3 default items fixes any issues, but please note that as explained here, resets loses custom settings, so be sure to back up aany that you want to save.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks R C-R,
clearing just these 3 default items did the trick!

Of course it was a sloppy try to just delete the mentioned plist file. I was aware that there must be much more, sowewhere else where we better don't mess with…

Clearing more or even all presets and preferences would have been no problem here: Working as a web developer I use AD just very occasionally to fix-up some assets. For which it is really good, makes much more sense for my purposes than the "big-A-bloatware" alternatives. :34_rolling_eyes: