You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am trying the trial version of Affinity Photo. I have used Corel Paintshop pro for over 10 years as well as Topaz Studio.

The images that I am still working on are saved as PSP and when I try to open or drag and drop them into Affinity it tells file is not supported.

I certainly don't want to even attempt to start from scratch on my working images.

I have tried very youtube video I can find. I'm on youtube overload.

Hi @Alexandria Georgiades, Welcome to the forums,

PSPIMAGE is Corel's proprietary working file format, and will not be recognized by Affinity Photo. Why? Because Corel is not going to disclose the coding of their file. Just like afphoto files (Serif's working file format for Affinity Photo), will not open in other image editing apps, for the same reason. I've used Corel's products for years, PSP being one of them. Sadly there's no way to export or save your PSP files without them being flattened. Tiff and PSD are the 2 one might expect to preserve the layers, and Corel doesn't allow it.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Can you export from your PSP as TIFF or PSD ?

If that's not a solution (or even if it is), you could try using the free versions of https://www.xnview.com/en/  or https://www.irfanview.net

Both can be downloaded and installed. But irfanview is Windows only, and somehow, for what you want, might work better XnView MP. Indeed, maybe their standalone converter is best (XnConvert, also free), so that you can grab a whole folder of *.psp files, and convert it to whatever the format, as that tool (and XnView MP) converts to virtually anything. An automated conversion with that would generate viable converted files of hundreds of files with the touch of a button. Just I'd do first a single file conversion to check which format respects better the features you need in the file, and the perform the batch conversion with those particular settings. Easy-peasy. 

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

PSP format seems supported in XnConvert : 

https://www.xnview.com/en/nconvert/#formats

In Irfan, you'd need a free plugin, which you download apart and install :

https://www.irfanview.net/plugins.htm

Dunno about layers, but PSP matters support in XnConvert seems quite nice.

About if layers are supported in any of these, I dunno. But I would not be surprised if they are.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Since my post, I've been testing how to get pspimage files into AP. I did try one of @SrPx suggestions of xnview(mp) and their converter. I had no luck at converting and keeping the layers. However I'm not very knowledgeable with that program.

I also had tried several times just saving a pspimage file as a Tiff and PSD. At first I would get the flatten image warning. I was using the latest PSP version 2020. I then switched to 2019 version, and finally was able to save a pspimage file as a PSD, AND the layers were kept. No warning about the layers being merged or flattened. I was able to open the created PSD file in AP finding all the layers intact. :o

@Alexandria Georgiades,

Pick out a pspimage file with several layers. Choose to Save as and a location to save it to. I created a new folder for testing this. Save the file. Then try opening it in AP. It should have the layers intact. Out of curiosity, what version of PSP are you using? I'm going to run a couple more tests using PSP2020, I don't have much confidence in this version. I helped beta test it, and it was ridiculous. Whatever the testers found was largely ignored. Was just a go through the motions process. One of the reasons why I use AP now.

EDIT:

FWIW, PSP2020 now just wants to crash when attempting to save the psp file as psd. But I'm getting consistent successful results using PSP 2019. 

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Ok, final attempt at this.

PSP, 2020 and 2019 will not save the layers if there's a vector layer. It will merge them into a single layer. I used text on one, and even rasterized it. PSP still would not allow saving without merging the layers. Other than that it will allow saving without merging to PSD, (and possibly Tiff, I didn't try that), if you do or did have any vector layers, and probably paint too.