hi , 

please add support to write in arabic in both affinity designer and affinity photo , because when I am trying to write in arabic the letters doesn't look good , 

please fix that as fastest as possible 

This must be a joke guys! This is requested since more than 3 years! This can't be your answer! Get it done! What a typical American attitude. "It works for us, why bother!" .... The world is international! My content production shouldn't be limited by YOUR world view! Please grow a backbone and invest in a feature you don't understand, but the world needs!

2 hours ago, Lennowitsch said:

What a typical American attitude.

Serif is a British company.

"It works for us, why bother!" .... The world is international!

If Serif were not interested in catering to an international market, they wouldn’t have gone to the trouble and expense of producing Chinese, Japanese and Russian versions of the Affinity apps. Right-to-left languages such as Arabic and Hebrew clearly present some technical challenges which Serif currently lack the necessary resources to overcome.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.4 (iPad Air 2)

On 8/11/2018 at 5:55 PM, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Serif is a British company.

If Serif were not interested in catering to an international market, they wouldn’t have gone to the trouble and expense of producing Chinese, Japanese and Russian versions of the Affinity apps. Right-to-left languages such as Arabic and Hebrew clearly present some technical challenges which Serif currently lack the necessary resources to overcome.

Three. Years. I'm not complaining that it isn't done after a few days or weeks. I'm complaining that after three years, the answer is still "We don't know when". There is open source software out there that has it, every other major player has it, browsers have it, it is possible if there is a business decision to do it. Yes, a dev has to do this instead of all the other things on the backlog, but I think to ignore the whole Arab world in 2018 is just not right. We can't even make proper content for the Arab world with Affinity. 

26 minutes ago, Lennowitsch said:

it is possible if there is a business decision to do it

I would have thought the same, but Serif’s ‘Middle East’ versions of PagePlus, WebPlus and PhotoPlus depended on the cooperation of WinSoft International to provide RTL functionality for proper support of Arabic, Farsi, Hebrew and Urdu, and that support was dropped after only one version (X5). They never got as far as releasing a Middle East version of DrawPlus, their old vector drawing application.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.4 (iPad Air 2)

44 minutes ago, zerkotin said:

How about a macro to convert to curves and then reverse their locations? Would that be possible?

Apart from the loss of editability when you convert to curves, simply reversing the locations would give you a collection of disconnected characters while ignoring the shaping rules which need to be applied to Arabic text.

Alfred online2long.gif

I am sorry guys. Anyone talking about "technical difficulty" should stop now. Affinity has some top-notch programmers and software designers. If ONE GUY developed (for no profit) the awesome open-source harfbuzz text-shaping engine that gave Scribus, Gimp, LibreOffice, Android, etc full and advanced R-to-L support why can't Serif pull off a similar project?!

It is just a matter of priorities and here exists the painful fact that Serif doesn't see R-to-L language support as a priority...

I really don't understand. Why on earth are not you dealing with this RTL matter as a priority? It does not make any sense to be your client for 3 years now and I still have to pay for Adobe to use photoshop with the Arabic projects. If you have a personal problem with that or you are racist against Arabs just make it clear cause the technical talk is just none sense. 

Kindly take this matter seriously or you are leaving us no choice but to ditch your product.

Cheers!

@mshahawy

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

21 hours ago, mshahawy said:

I really don't understand. Why on earth are not you dealing with this RTL matter as a priority? 

{I will overlook the accusations of racism} We would love to sell direct into your market but ALL the UI needs reworking as well as the software text engine. The difficult technical aspect is the only reason this has not been done. I am not aware that we have ever said that this will be in version 1.x, indeed we have practically said the opposite, that it will be some time before this can be addressed. With new features we have to prioritize providing the features that we have promissed. If you purchased the software thinking that this was coming soon then I am sorry to disappoint you.

...and I still have to pay for Adobe to use photoshop with the Arabic projects

We have not made you pay for other software, that is your choice.

.... cause the technical talk is just none sense

What makes you suggest the technical reasons are nonsense?

Patrick Connor

Serif (Europe) Ltd.