You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

MB Photomanipulations

markbowen

... You could use your compositing skills commercially!

One industry is real estate dressing ie digital placement of furniture in dwellings for sale (as well as composite external landscaping of new dwellings, commercial buildings etc).

These two examples I downloaded from the net are from a house for sale not far from my house ... well, you can see just how crappy the composite placements are! Enough said :)

image3.jpg

image7.jpg

Oh dear, they are quite bad aren’t they?
For example, why is the floor in the first one built on a slope?
If I was making these for my own private use (never to be seen by anyone else) or someone posted them as first attempts then I might just let the problems slide or give some constructive comments, but for commercial work they’re really not good at all. I hope they didn’t cost much.

54 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Oh dear, they are quite bad aren’t they?
For example, why is the floor in the first one built on a slope?

I didn’t notice the sloping floor! I think I must have been too busy noticing details like these:

B888D6DF-F2D7-4E67-8FDD-077FA7023BEF.jpeg D53884F9-F324-4D3D-8DE4-709E99731806.jpeg.766f6b9a677772e6e5b325f7e4015628.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Could the chunk out of the sofa have come from a child or animal (or child-animal hybrid) perhaps?
I noticed the carpet issues – in both images – but gave them the benefit of the doubt that they maybe did it themselves instead of paying for a professional carpet fitter and just carpeted around everything or cut some corners (literally).
I thought the pictures on the wall of the second image looked way wrong but – as you can see in my attached image – they’re actually pretty accurate for the perspective used. My guess is that someone took the photos of the empty room(s) – if they’re renders then they’ve added some nice details – with strange camera settings to get the most in.

forced-perspective.png

While I like everything you've posted so far Mark, Smoggy Dove is stunning ... that composite says more in one image than extensive essays I've seen from photogs working the same (similar) theme   thumbup.gif

Garry/Alfred Here's the link for the RE listing. It looks like a 21mm or maybe 24mm lens (FF camera) has been used with distortion corrected somewhat in, Adobe Camera Raw? The agent I noticed drives a rather new BMW (white ... of course!). Perhaps his repayment on that is so steep he can't afford competent compositers  :D 

6 hours ago, PedroOfOz said:

While I like everything you've posted so far Mark, Smoggy Dove is stunning ... that composite says more in one image than extensive essays I've seen from photogs working the same (similar) theme   thumbup.gif

Hi Peter,

Thank you very much for the kind words they're very much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Mark

Mark: Apologies for crashing in on your thread but I think this side discussion is relevant to the process you are using (well, up to a point).

PedroOfOz: Thanks for the link. I don’t know much about photography (it’s something men in top hats do with flash powder isn’t it?) but – from a little bit of hunting around on the web – I think the person taking the pictures may have used a wide-angle lens for all of the interiors which has forelengthened everything quite un-naturally (the shower cubicle in image 6 from the linked page looks so wrong). Compositing images not taken with the same kind of lens – or adding renders that haven’t been created using a compatible technique – seems to have caused the problem where the compositor has had to try and ‘mash’ one type of image into another (the bedside tables in image 5 are a good/bad example, unless the one on the left was built in a hurry). This is something I haven’t taken much notice of in previous compositing experiments but I will try and remember to keep my eyes open for it in the future. Just something to keep in mind when doing this sort of thing.

On 8/17/2019 at 10:40 PM, markbowen said:

Black cat in road.

278202399_BlackCatInRoad.thumb.jpeg.7174ec61f2b3799c2ad133cf4d3eb862.jpeg1298988493_BlackCatInRoad-BEFORE.thumb.jpeg.1c7cb5cfdfe7a8c5c39caed971ff7df4.jpeg

https://instagram.com/mbphotomanipulations

https://www.facebook.com/mbphotomanipulation

I am very happy to see your imaginative work.

I am very interested in the effects of some of these images. If I don't mind, I hope to get a copy of the source file.

I don't know if it is offensive to ask for the source documents, or it is not polite. 
Because I am very curious about how some effects are implemented, and the source file allows me to learn how the author created and his ideas.

Edited by Poto Lucky

1 hour ago, Poto Lucky said:

Fixed line overlap problem in eye circles.

By the way, share my source files. 
I hope that when you share your work, you can share the source files by the way, so that we can learn skills and workflow habits from each other.

Hi there,

I'm sorry is one of those images yours then? Are you David Bartus?

I have meant to put the links to the sources in but forgot. I will definitely start doing that in future.

I'll probably (hopefully) be putting some tutorials together for how I'm creating these although I've never done that sort of thing before so it will be a steep learning curve.

Also I had noticed his right eye (left as you look at him) was a little wonky but didn't want to change it as it's nature and nothing's perfect in nature. Well that's what I thought anyway ;-)

Best wishes,

Mark

39 minutes ago, markbowen said:

Hi there,

I'm sorry is one of those images yours then? Are you David Bartus?

I have meant to put the links to the sources in but forgot. I will definitely start doing that in future.

I'll probably (hopefully) be putting some tutorials together for how I'm creating these although I've never done that sort of thing before so it will be a steep learning curve.

Also I had noticed his right eye (left as you look at him) was a little wonky but didn't want to change it as it's nature and nothing's perfect in nature. Well that's what I thought anyway ;-)

Best wishes,

Mark

Sorry, my reply is the content of my other posts. 
My clipboard doesn't seem to copy my reply correctly. You know, I use translation software. I am not an English user.

You do great work. The only thing in the last one that I would mention is the two big (closer to camera) snowflakes are too similar in size, shape and height. As always with these things, is important that the pattern or the digital trick is not seen.  :) Maybe just relocating and mirroring+rotating+scaling one would do...

I was often told to make these things for press ads or even game shots (often with z-buffer, overlaps, all sort of things that happen in 3D, to be hidden) for marketing, mixing painting, 3D and photo. Gotta say, is particularly fun.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

About the real state shots... sorry, this is fun, gonna give it a go, and maybe get it 100% wrong, but would be fun nonetheless.

I'll put my bet... I believe the bedroom shot is... well, the room is actually 3D.

Then they have very carelessly composited into it several parts. And I don't blame them. Maybe their boss told 'em to do it in 20 seconds, and post it asap, u never know the circumstances... I'd blame the company for not checking the output, and putting the pics down, and use the time to produce sth better after the fact, or reviewing it before release, which is the proper thing to do. But realize the people see renders and composites in real state with even uglier errors, all the time, without ever noticing, and from all what I'm told, they work pretty fast....

But yeah... The perspective and carpet texture is telling me that's 3D. The room "basic" structure.  In the bedroom, the bed top wall has a different tone, they didn't care to make it coherent with the room.  The bed and two bed tables are a single 2D piece, and my guess would be that they positioned the 3D camera to fit the bed's angle angle, not the other way around, to fit the bed's perspective. Yet, with a very accelerated perspective in the room (ceiling shows you that) not matching the bed's perspective neither camera's lens (in 3D or photo). The left (in the pic) bed table (however you call that in English) is not even silhouetted well, they lasso (surely polygonal) selected in the origin and pasted without any refining, at least in the actual table (or lamp furniture or however that's called) edge. The table in the right of the drawing, even worse case.  There's an incredibly rude cut there in the drop shadows at the wall, thrown by the lamp and plant... they didn't even care to disguise it with a feather, let alone rebuild a proper projected soft shadow.  The one in the table's wood noticed by Alfred, seems a very careless magic wand selection gone with too aggressive values, and left so... Seeing the pic first time and first seconds, I thought it was all 3D, and they had just sunk the table in the floor somehow, lol (you find that often).

The bed part could as well be done and rendered by a much more talented 3D artist than the 2D person making the composite, and then the latter could have badly pasted a chunk of the other render there... But I'd be inclined to think is just a photo. Too much time in modeling would go there for a real state company to use time or money for that.(unless is purchased as 3D stock art, but  that'd be the kind of truly expensive stock art).

The wall pictures... I believe that's just 3D, polygons textured, or extracted & duplicated from the same wall, and textured, so, of course they follow same perspective lines. But the perspective for it all is a wrong choice, imo, makes the picture vertical sides look as inclining "backwards" .  

The bed itself...wow. Look the again polygonal lasso silhouette, they left a straight line there (left side in the image) which still keeps a good portion of the background it had in the other picture (almost same color of the bed, so, quite some people wouldn't notice). 

In the bed's right side in the image, they left some the drop shadows the bed came with, but neither cared to merge it well with the carpet, so, there's chunks of the old background there, too.

In the other pic, the living room,  the first detail Alfred points to, the "bite" on the couch... lol, I don't even manage to imagine how they did that. Plus, the carpet "corner", of course...geez.

The couch should have destroyed the wall in that position (right side of the image) -or never be so-  instead, is there, floating like in an Escher drawing... The entire couch is not matching the room's perspective, hence adding more to my theory of a room done in 3D only in walls and floor, rest are 2D pastings (be it from full renders, or from photos).

As pointed out, the carpet is overlapping there, but also is the lamp furniture. With "dirt" of selection's white pixels, not well cleaned there. While they made a too aggressive magic wand in the lamp's base (which got partially "eaten").

I keep thinking this is a 3D structure, where they mount / composite 2D chunks.

But I'll leave it here as I'm getting off topic in a gallery thread, and because I knew a guy which needed money for his family, a really bad paid job he had just got by saying "I can do that",  and asked me to teach him a 5 hours tutorial on how to do this sort of thing. It might be a similar case, so, the best to him/her, if is saving the family situation with that...

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

On 8/22/2019 at 2:14 AM, PedroOfOz said:

Garry/Alfred Here's the link for the RE listing. It looks like a 21mm or maybe 24mm lens (FF camera) has been used with distortion corrected somewhat in, Adobe Camera Raw? The agent I noticed drives a rather new BMW (white ... of course!). Perhaps his repayment on that is so steep he can't afford competent compositers  :D 

A huge lot of those pics are certainly 3D. And I am not seeing much stuff pasted in those from 2D stuff or other renders (neither integrated as badly as in these two pics) ... but... is not the same expensive houses/projects, than cheaper ones, neither the selected premium pics for the website than others made for less "important" matters, the "every day cr4p". Even several beds and couches, with all the cloth wrinkles, are most likely 3D (way easier to handle expensive 3D stock and 3D camera angle that fit in that different 2D chunks). Which means they are most surely using expensive 3D stock art, and placing it in the renders (flexibility to swap things for clients, etc), or, they have talented modelers in the staff (just really not great 2D people for 2D composites when comes for low end clients stuff,  non-website's stuff). The vegetation in the outside, IMO, are mostly photos. But several, almost all, plants in the inside seem actual full 3D, IMO.

As mentioned, the catalog images look a lot better finished than those posted in this thread.

I might be wrong! But those images look too clean, and the perspective lines , and the "touch" are shouting me "3D".... (and yeah, if so,a talented 3D artist/team).

13 hours ago, Kasper-V said:

Wow! I thought I was clever, but I've got quite a lot of catching up to do.
(Well, I am clever -- I'm just lazy! Your work is inspiring, literally. :) )

Hi Kasper,

Thank you very much for the kind words. Still a way for me to go too as you never stop learning as they say.

Best wishes,

Mark