slgarwood

Is it possible to move purchased version to App Store?

I have copies of Photo, Designer, and Publisher on my Mac. Photo and Designer are App Store versions, Publisher is not. Is there a way to move Publisher to an App Store version? I would prefer as it would make maintenance updates simpler.

That's a question many have asked, and the answer is no, that's not something that can be done. You would have to repurchase.

But didn't Serif implement an automatic update process for their applications on Mac? If so, that should make updating about the same no matter where you purchased it, I think.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.674 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.674 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.663 Beta.

9 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

But didn't Serif implement an automatic update process for their applications on Mac? If so, that should make updating about the same no matter where you purchased it, I think.

Macs can be set to automatically download updates to apps bought from the Mac App Store (MAS) in the background, & to install them automatically if downloaded. Both are optional but the App Store app can always be used to update MAS apps and/or to notify users when updates are available, even when the app is not running. So there can be a slight advantage to buying all the Mac Affinity apps from the MAS.

Mac Affinity apps bought from the Affinity Store don't have (AFAIK) any automatic background update options (because that option for the MAS apps is implemented at the OS & not application level). However, buying from the Affinity Store has the advantage that Apple reviews submitted MAS updates before making them available. That sometimes takes a few days, so the MAS version updates may not always be available as quickly as buying from the Affinity Store.

Affinity Photo 1.8.3, Affinity Designer 1.8.3, Affinity Publisher 1.8.3; macOS Mojave 10.14.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 
1.8.3.180 & Affinity Designer 1.8.3.2 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.3.1

Now that I see my copy of Affinity Publisher was purchased direct from Affinity I would like to do the same with my copies of Affinity Photo and Affinity Design.  Can I switch them or do I have to wait to do that when version 2.0 comes out?  Thank you.

Sam Asher

Eugene, Oregon, USA

http://www.level-it.com

Hi samasher,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
There's no way to switch the Mc App Store licenses for Affinity Store licenses. You will have to wait for v2.

---

On 8/17/2019 at 11:11 PM, R C-R said:

Mac Affinity apps bought from the Affinity Store don't have (AFAIK) any automatic background update options (because that option for the MAS apps is implemented at the OS & not application level). However, buying from the Affinity Store has the advantage that Apple reviews submitted MAS updates before making them available. That sometimes takes a few days, so the MAS version updates may not always be available as quickly as buying from the Affinity Store.

As Walt said Affinity apps bought from the Affinity Store also check/do provide an automatic update process. Alternatively go to menu Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher > Check for Updates to check/update our apps.

---

Hi slgarwood,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)