You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Not possible to start the latest Beta anymore after updating the full version from App Store

After updating to the latest Affinity Photo Version 1.7.2 via App Store, it's not possible to start the Beta anymore.

The Beta ask to install a paid version from the App Store first; check screenshot attached.

Are all the changes from the latest Beta now included in the latest full version (1.7.2)?

Will it be possible to work with all files created with the Beta, or will I still need the Beta (what would be a problem, since it's not possible to start it anymore).

Bildschirmfoto 2019-08-17 um 12.23.06.png

Bildschirmfoto 2019-08-17 um 12.29.51.png

The 1.7.2 version available from the Mac Store would have everything from the beta and possibly more. You should be able to use it for all your work.

The beta on Mac won't run until a new one, with additional enhancements/fixes, is released for 1.7.3.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You're welome :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I had the same question, and now have an answer. Indeed: the initial screen of the beta asks for a product key. But I bought my Affinity Photo through the AppStore and cannot retrieve any product key. I will check regularly whether there is a new beta under development.

CANON cameras (7D, G9), lenses ranging from 10 to 400mm, and Speedlite 580EX II - iMac (24", M1, 2021) running Ventura MacOS 13.4.1(c)

On 8/17/2019 at 3:01 PM, walt.farrell said:

The 1.7.2 version available from the Mac Store would have everything from the beta and possibly more. You should be able to use it for all your work.

Unfortunately not true for 1.7.2, there is quite nasty bug with groups in release. It is present in MacOS release too,

Would be better to allow user to use lastest beta... it was more usable for documents with deep hierarchies, in fact //
How i supposed to do my work when this release forces me to manually change dosens of groups each time? just to make image simply visible? //

• 1 month later...

Any news about a new beta for Mac? I’m helping someone on Facebook, and although I was able to point her towards a beta for Windows, I could not find a link for Mac 1.7.3. beta? As she couldn’t load abr brushes, she reverted from 1.7.2 to 1.7.1 and now she’s facing that ‘product key’ window, which she hasn’t, as she bought from the AppStore!

CANON cameras (7D, G9), lenses ranging from 10 to 400mm, and Speedlite 580EX II - iMac (24", M1, 2021) running Ventura MacOS 13.4.1(c)

Thanks for this reply, MEB. Could you point me to a solution for the ‘Product key’ issue? People who purchased through the AppStore have no product key.

3 minutes ago, LesC said:

a solution for the ‘Product key’ issue

The versions downloaded from the app store are set up differently than the versions which can be downloaded from the web site.

The only way for an app store purchase to be reverted to an older version is if you have a backup copy of the older version as was downloaded from the app store - if she happens to have a time machine backup she might be able to dig it out from there, for example.

The app store itself modifies the program for each individual user account so Serif cannot provide a copy of an older version that will work with an app store purchase (only Apple can do that, and they generally don't).

This is not an issue with Serif, but one that impacts ALL app store purchases regardless of the company that released the software.

The only way for her to get a product key is to purchase the software from the Serif web site.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/21/2019 at 4:16 PM, MEB said:

We are looking into this. When a new Beta is available it will work alongside the current Mac App Store version.

Really? For such USER_errors you will waste develope-ressources?

Just give a warning! This is an official Update. If you use any BETA it will not work anymore. If you want your BETA-settings.... copy the stuff from here .... to here!"

Juast a SIMPLE WARNING will do that job, for most TESETER.... do not waste time for time/capacity for "TESTER" which  not see the different between a BETA and the RELEASE!! 

But yeah, implemenet jjust  this Warning  with the correct path, in the setup-dialog! Rest is for each USER/Tester by its own!  

BTW: offical Update will not DELETE the AP_Beta-User-folder, which can be really grow up very big.... escpacillay with this strange brush-porpcol-behavior.... Not really  a problem for me, but i would like to get an INFORMATION for such circumstances by OFFICIAL update!, like your "AP-Beta-Folder is 4,6 GB big, what shuould we do/  what will you do....here is the path.....? 

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.