You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Question: Is there a way to prevent a two-page spread?

I'm not a graphic designer, but I'm interested in teaching myself graphic design, just for fun. I've watched some video tutorials on lynda.com, which helped a lot, and I downloaded the Affinity Publisher demo (I already own Designer). I'm really loving the program and playing around with it is a lot of fun. For practice, I'm trying to recreate some designs in magazines I have laying around. 

Anyway, I have a question about single page versus two-page spreads:

I created a document and the first page is the magazine cover. The second page is the actual first page inside the magazine. However, Publisher automatically generates that second page along with the next page as part of a two-page spread. Is there a way to force Publisher to treat that second page as an individual page instead (and create the first two-page spread after it)? I can't find such an option anywhere, including in the Section Manager. 

Thanks!

Edit: I'm realizing that maybe my question is silly, because after looking at the actual hardcopy magazine again, I'm realizing there is a two-page spread after the cover. So, I was thinking of deleting this post, but don't see that as an option.

Edited by skylamar
To moderator: feel free to delete this post if you can

Printed magazines don’t usually have single pages in them as a print shop needs double-page spreads so it can print on both sides of every sheet of paper. Whether you have the front and back cover as single pages in your Publisher document or have them combined as a double-page spread probably depends on what your print shop requires. If in doubt, ask your print shop how they want the document to be organised. (They can, and probably will, reorganise the pages the way they need things anyway – a process involving something called “impositioning” – but it’s always best to check first to avoid extra problems.)

Edited by GarryP
Spelling mistake struck-through.

56 minutes ago, GarryP said:

a process involving something called “impositioning

The process of imposition is usually called “imposing”, but yeah. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

12 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Keep keeping us right.

And the same back at you, Garry! ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Usually when creating and working on magazines, we work with 2 pages view, and we talk a bout a "double page" (at least in French) since it's important to view the left and right pages together. They can be different articles, or add and article, etc. but it's important to design and look at them together to have a nice design.

Two nice single pages can be a nightmare together that won't fit or look nice. And sometimes, the design of the right page can be the same but in a different colour and mirroring the design of the left page, etc. since it's the same magazine but another part (rubric).