You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't Print From Designer Most of the Time

Hello. This is a strange one. I installed the latest version of Designer today (1.7.2) and I cannot always print my work directly in Designer. In fact, out of 5 attempts (with starting Designer over twice), I was only able to get a document to print once. I've had to export to PDF and print from there. Each time I attempt to print from within Designer, my printer starts to whir like it is going to print, then it shuts down as if it didn't get a file. My printer is not reacting this way to any other piece of software I have installed on my Windows 10 PC.

I've had this issue too on 1.7.1, I've not yet had the latest update to see on there.

I have three printers - one is on a PCL driver, one on a PostScript driver and a simple Dymo label printer. They all take multiple attempts to get to print at times. For me nothing actually goes into the printer spool, even though the progress bar displays and completes in Designer. No other software on the system has this issue.

Hope that helps.

• Staff

Hi SilverSurfer1221,

Do you get issues when trying to print a brand new document with a couple of simple quick shapes? Are you able to attach a document that is failing to export for you? Also can you try setting the Printer to 'Microsoft Print to PDF' and see if that succeeds every time for you? 

I'm also tearing my hair out over this. I have a 128 page document I'm trying to print as a booklet. It won't convert to PDF for some reason (I've tried a dozen different ways, but I'm open to suggestions) so I have to print direct from Affinity. The printer just crashes halfway through if it starts the job at all. Do I need to flatten or embed images or something? There *must* be some obvious thing I'm missing here. I hope. :(

On 8/20/2019 at 6:50 AM, Sean P said:

Hi SilverSurfer1221,

Do you get issues when trying to print a brand new document with a couple of simple quick shapes? Are you able to attach a document that is failing to export for you? Also can you try setting the Printer to 'Microsoft Print to PDF' and see if that succeeds every time for you? 

It was a document with some fairly simple shapes. I can share it here (see attached). As pointed out, it printed once out of about five tries ... and that one time was not the first attempt. 

CSTabmate_Scheme.afdesign

Hi Sean, I've been using Designer daily since Jan 2018. I print from it most days. This issue has been happening from the start, and continues to occur. It's intermittent, so you printing one document from a user isn't going to tell you anything. Some days I can print fine, some days the first document will fail the first few attempts, sometimes it will print but the next one won't. I imagine it will be a nightmare to track down :)

As I posted above, I've got three printers of completely different types (one Dymo label writer, one Dell laser A4 and one Oki c911). They all do the same thing through Designer. I've never had any of them fail to print with other software.

I hope that helps in some way.