You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

As I reported in this post for Affinity Photo 1.7.1 already, Affinity Photo (and Affinity Publisher) still completely ignore Live-Filters on PDF Export. Huge workflow killer.

Windows 10 Home 64 / AMD Ryzen 1700 @ 3.6 GHz / Asus Prime B350-Plus / 32 GB RAM / GeForce RTX 3060 12GB with latest studio drivers
Affinity Suite V2 latest official versions

Hi Gabe and thanks for your answer. I was just wondering since this problem wasn't addressed in the last betas.

I also noticed another problem with PDF export which may relate to this. This time there are no Live-Filters involved.pdfexport.thumb.png.562eb679c43c423423f1b55dd1b737c3.png

I attached the .afphoto file and the resulting PDFs.

woodcake.zip

Windows 10 Home 64 / AMD Ryzen 1700 @ 3.6 GHz / Asus Prime B350-Plus / 32 GB RAM / GeForce RTX 3060 12GB with latest studio drivers

8 hours ago, GabrielM said:

PDF doesn't "understand" what a fill layer is, so it will rasterise the layer in question. it's not a bug, but a PDF limitation. 

I know, but Affinity Photo should take care of this on export. If you place the .afphoto file in Affinity Publisher for example and export to pdf you will have the unexpected result as shown in the middle. Photo should internally flatten the image on PDF export while keeping the transparency around the object as it does on .tiff export.
In the PDF/X1a specification layers are forbidden anyway, so Photo should flatten the layers. So it is a bug.

• Staff

Sorry. I misunderstood the issue. My bad. 

It looks like there is a bug with the Fill layers when you use the crop tool. If you extend the crop into the area outside the canvas, the fill layer does not correct itself to "fill" the new area when you export. The workaround, for now, is to delete the fill layer and to create a new one, using the same mask. 

But even if you get completely rid of the fill layers (all rasterized and trimmed) in the example file, you will still have the color shift as seen in the middle of the picture on PDF/x1a-Export.

Of course there is a color change. The color change from the left in the example picture (original - RGB) to the right in the example picture (PDF/X1a-Export with flattened layers - CMYK). But the example in the middle (PDF/X1a-Export - CMYK) is clearly off :(.

Just try for yourself. The file is attached.

• Staff

Sorry for not explaining this in more detail. When you have adjustment layers (Vibrance and curves on "Candles" and Curves applied to "Saw" and "background", you will have different results when you just convert the document to CMYK and when you flatten it. This is why:

That curves adjustment looks correctly in RGB. When you change the colour format of that document to CMYK, the adjustment will most likely be "off" as you set the values to be correct in RGB and not CMYK. 

When you flatten everything, you only have one pixel layer that needs converting to CMYK. There might be a slight change in colour, but less noticeable. 

There is a bug with rasterization of fill layers... even in 1.7.2. sometimes bounds of the fill layer after rasterization became smaller comparing to document size.
May be this is also play a role here... then manual rasterization and bound fixing (before export) may help

• Staff

Hi @IPv6,

That bug you describe there seems to be this. Correct me if i'm wrong :)

On 8/21/2019 at 9:41 AM, GabrielM said:

It looks like there is a bug with the Fill layers when you use the crop tool. If you extend the crop into the area outside the canvas, the fill layer does not correct itself to "fill" the new area when you export. The workaround, for now, is to delete the fill layer and to create a new one, using the same mask. 

43 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

Hi @IPv6,

That bug you describe there seems to be this. Correct me if i'm wrong :)

No, not the same. In my case - i have document that was NOT cropped or resized in any way. Purely created with initial size.
And some fill layers (not all, always inside specific groups) receive wrong bounds after rasterization. This is 100% reproducible on Mac&Win latest releases

From the look of "wrong bounds" after seeng them in documents of different sizes (some was resized, some not) - i can guess it`s some kind of internal tiles... Rasterize gives fill layer bounds rounded to tiles, covering document with fractions on right-bottom edges. Instead of full document size, as it should be (since it`s a fill)

• Staff

Hmm.. interesting. 

26 minutes ago, IPv6 said:

This is 100% reproducible on Mac&Win latest releases

Can you please give us some steps to we can get it logged? The recipe we've got involves cropping the canvas but has the same result as yours. 

55 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

I would be interested to see how you got into that state. Can you please either save the document with history or create a new recording from start to finish? :D

Hm, tryed to recreate from scratch - indeed fills rasterization has no such problems when everything is fresh.
But i have no file with history, i have a file created back in 1.7.0, that i constantly change and update over time (like a template/group collection for different tasks)

afphoto with the bug above - stripped version of this file (deleted irrelevant parts, leaving only demo for this issue). So there is no history, file just plain old.
May be this is some format upgrading issues... will recreate fills inside my file manually then //

6 hours ago, GabrielM said:

When you have adjustment layers (Vibrance and curves on "Candles" and Curves applied to "Saw" and "background", you will have different results when you just convert the document to CMYK and when you flatten it. This is why:

That curves adjustment looks correctly in RGB. When you change the colour format of that document to CMYK, the adjustment will most likely be "off" as you set the values to be correct in RGB and not CMYK. 

When you flatten everything, you only have one pixel layer that needs converting to CMYK. There might be a slight change in colour, but less noticeable. 

I'm aware of this. But Photo should of course merge the layers internally on PDF/X1a export because, to quote myself, "in the PDF/X1a specification layers are forbidden anyway".

So the bug is that Photo (and Publisher) do not merge layers correctly on PDF export, which implies that it relates to or is even the same that causes Photo to ignore the Live-Filters on PDF export.

I found this bug also in the printmenue. If I will print any document which I created with affinity photo, the live filter area  is missing in the printed document.

as example: If I use the livefilters which called in German Version such as Waves or  swirl. And I will print my Picture, in Preview of the print menue it looks all very well  But

in the printed document the live filter effect ist missing. The same is in export to Pdf as User M1000 has written above.

For a correct print or make a PDF file , I help myself with an export my Pictures (with live filters) to JPG and print these then it will looks correct inclused the live filter.

In the attached 3 files you can see the effect of the missing Live filter area it. In the printed document is missing the livefilter area

but in the preview of the print menue  it looks like the orign. 

printed_dokument.jpg

Original.jpg

preview of the print menue.JPG

Edited by wnick01

• 1 month later...