You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Does anyone know how to make a striped shape in Affinity Designer?

Working in Affinity Designer (Designer Persona), and I'm trying to make a striped trapezoid.

The best way to describe it: a perfect square made from 5-7 vertical stripes of the same width, but then narrowing the top of the entire square that the stripes form.

I tried placing several vertical rectangles (the stripes) together, but I can't narrow the top of the square that the rectangles form (only each rectangle individually).  I also noticed that other layers are visible through the spaces between these rectangles.  The visible space between the rectangles is what is really confusing because I even used the magnet tool to keep all the shapes aligned and tried increasing the border around the rectangles that are next to one another, but they are still not perfectly together.  Not sure how space between the rectangles is even possible.

Can someone here help explain different ways this trapezoid could be done with the shape tools, nodes, etc.?  Just want to make sure the stripes/shape is precise.

Hi, Affinity100,

I think this will do for you.

Make a rectangle, any size. Duplicate it and move it just as far to the side as it is wide. I often have a grid active, and w. snapping, can get even spaces.

Select the group of rectangles. Open the transform panel. W. the anchor point positioned at the center of the bounding box diagram, enter identical values for H & W, what ever size you like. Everything will be in a square.

W. the rectangles selected, use geometry/add. Then w. the node tool, select a row of points. Again using the transform panel, center the anchor, and enter what ever width you like to make a trapezoid.

As practice using the pen tool, start snapping nodes the corners of the trapezoid line shape. If they are not quite right, switch to the node tool, zoom in, and tweak the positions.

You can then nest the line shape inside the trapezoid, and the trapezoid's fill will block any layers lower in the hierarchy.

IMG_0668.jpg.cf3b533e9e79c0ab59ebbd21cc063930.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet