You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Intermittent Leading Issues

Works fine for me. But then, I'm on Windows, and you did say it's intermittent.

Here it is at 7.6 (as I downloaded it): image.png.a4ba8303f60f00588b2dc1de055fc5ff.png

And here it is at 19.6: image.png.20bae7c43484a396ff4883322fd93c94.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Same issue here on Mac... this bug appears in 1.7.1 and 1.7.2 and across all three apps.

This basically happens when switching between the paragraph panel and the character panel and can reproduced as follows:

1. Create a new document
  2. Use the Artistic Text Tool to create some text with paragraphs, i.e. including hard returns between lines
  3. Select the text using the Move Tool and adjust the Paragraph Leading using the Paragraph Panel and all works as expected
  4. With the text still selected now adjust the leading using Leading Override in the Character Panel, again all works as expected
  5. With the text still selected go back to the Paragraph Panel and the Paragraph Leading no longer works
  6. Create some new text in the same document with Paragraphs as per Step 2 and the Paragraph Leading in the Paragraph Panel still doesn't function
  7. The non functioning Paragraph Leading in the Paragraph Panel remains an issue until a New Document is created

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

1 hour ago, Hangman said:

Same issue here on Mac... this bug appears in 1.7.1 and 1.7.2 and across all three apps.

This basically happens when switching between the paragraph panel and the character panel and can reproduced as follows:

1. Create a new document
  2. Use the Artistic Text Tool to create some text with paragraphs, i.e. including hard returns between lines
  3. Select the text using the Move Tool and adjust the Paragraph Leading using the Paragraph Panel and all works as expected
  4. With the text still selected now adjust the leading using Leading Override in the Character Panel, again all works as expected
  5. With the text still selected go back to the Paragraph Panel and the Paragraph Leading no longer works
  6. Create some new text in the same document with Paragraphs as per Step 2 and the Paragraph Leading in the Paragraph Panel still doesn't function
  7. The non functioning Paragraph Leading in the Paragraph Panel remains an issue until a New Document is created

Thanks for that recipe. It may be helpful in figuring this out.

One comment: I believe that in your item 5 it is working correctly. The selected text has a local override from the character panel (step 4), and so the paragraph leading is no longer applicable to that text.

My guess for step 6: The Artistic Text tool is probably remembering the settings applied from the Character Panel. That is, it has the local override applied, and the Paragraph Panel setting for leading won't apply for that reason.

I don't have time to create a test right now, but try this: In step 6, when you've drawn out the A to set the size of the text, click the Revert Defaults button on the Toolbar: image.png.03e02c3d493d62f43a31eec75094ace1.png

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Hi Walt,

You are indeed correct. I have to confess I've never had cause to use the Revert Defaults button before and I hadn't even realised what it did but now you've explained its purpose it makes perfect sense.

I also hadn't realised, though it seems obvious now of course, that the Leading Override actually disables the Paragraph Leading completely, I'd wrongly assumed they interacted with each other regardless. o.O

So it appears as though this isn't a bug after all but expected behaviour. :)

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344

Thanks for confirming that, Hangman :)

Perhaps it will also explain what @randomjames is seeing.

-- Walt
PC:

I believe it will... :)

Damn... you're right. Leading Override was on and set to an arbitrary number. Not sure how I'd overlooked that, as I'm aware of that function...

Also not sure how it became set to a value different than the default, as I'm pretty sure I'd just copy/pasted the text from elsewhere... Anyway, that seems to be sorted now... thanks!!!