You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Incorrect Language In ‘Open File…’ Window: All Mac Affinity Products

markw

I originally posted about this in the Photo Beta forum when I first encountered it. But now I see it effects all three apps.
Details in my original post here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/95572-affinity-photo-beta-172153-gm-incorrect-language-in-open-file-window/

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

No, nothing set to French.
My system language is set to British English and the Affinity apps language to ‘Default’.
This is the only Affinity window that behaves like this as fare as I’ve seen so far.O.o

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

1 hour ago, GabrielM said:

Have you got anything at all set in French?

As Mark observed in the other thread, it’s a mixture of languages. There’s French in the first screenshot but Portuguese in the second one.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Well, that could have gone better!
Set app language to English as per suggestion. Window still using French/Portuguese but now minus the expand triangle to the left of where it says Foto.
On switching the language back to Default again, I find that the expansion triangle remains missing! :S

528098018_Screenshot2019-08-19at15_39_38.png.f041866b10bcda1160446070573cc6f0.png

Good morning Gabriel:)
No, that made no difference to the languages being displayed either :(.
Restarting the computer after changing the apps language brings back the expansion triangle next to 'Foto' but otherwise still no English!
Am I the only user this is happening to?

• Staff

I'm afraid you're the only one. I've checked it on our end and we are not responsible for that bit of translation. We translate within the app, but any Open/Save dialogues are handled by the OS. Can you perhaps try to log in on a guest account and see if that is any different?

Hi again and thank you for your time over this:)
So I set up another account and it behaves in just the same way.
Following your comment about the Affinity apps using the OS for Open/Save windows, I’ve had a poke about with other apps both Apple and other third party ones and all do the same.
So as you say this is obviously something at a system level on just my machine.
But I have no idea exactly when it started or why.:S:(

I’m actually going to be near the local Apple store Thursday so maybe pop in with the laptop and see what their resident Gurus have to say.
If I find an answer will let you know.:)

So, I spent a fun 30/40 minutes or so with an Apple tech trying different things to figure out what was happening here.
I think they were quite interested as nobody there had seen anything like this before but we got nowhere in identifying a direct cause + remedy sadly.
In the end we reinstalled a fresh copy of the OS and all is back to how it should be.:)