You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.7.2 Final - Eye Candy will not launch

nwhit

Opened fine in the betas but does not launch in the final Mac App Store version. 

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

8 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hey nwhit,

I asked the developers this morning if anything had changed regarding plugins and they explicitly said nothing has changed. So I'm not sure what may have happened. Have you tried removing it and re-adding it? 

I know I was surprised because during the 1.7.2 beta testing, Eye Candy did launch in most (but not all) versions. Thus I was surprised when it did not launch in the final release. 

I did just try removing the directory listing in APh Plugins prefs, then adding it back in (relaunching each time). I also restarted my computer just to be sure. I trashed and re-downloaded and installed 1.7.2 from the Mac App Store again. But no joy. Still will not launch. I've also checked the Security/Privacy/Accessibility and tried adding APh for access, but that didn't solve it.

Meanwhile, my Topaz Labs filter works fine and my Google Nik Collection filters all work. Eye Candy has and still does launch and work just fine from PS CS5.

The only variable I can think of is the diff between the betas being from you versus the final release being from Mac App Store. And while we still haven't solved the bigger issue of rendering the Eye Candy interface correctly to be fully usable, I had been creating a few common presets in PS, then using those presets in APh betas, even though I could not correctly preview them. But now I'm stumped! Hope we can sort this out! 

I imagine if I had to, I could always purchase APh again through your store, but really hope we can get it work in the Mac App Store version (if that's the problem).  

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

• Staff
12 hours ago, nwhit said:

I imagine if I had to, I could always purchase APh again through your store, but really hope we can get it work in the Mac App Store version (if that's the problem).  

I really don't think that would be necessary. I will try to see if I can reproduce this today. I'd be interested to see if anyone else has this issue too.

• 1 month later...

In final MAS 1.7.3, Eye Candy still does not open. Really wish this could be fixed. Hate to have to do all that work in PS, especially since it worked (sort of) in the betas.

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Cobra Blade said:

I never used the beta version of Affinity Photo @Chris B, but can definitely confirm that with the full version from the Mac App Store that Eye Candy is unable to launch.

What I eventually found out from exhaustive testing was that the Mac App store version simply could not get around Apple's sandboxing security to run Eye Candy. In my testing, the beta versions always ran it fine, but that is not using Apple's sandboxing since it comes from Affinity directly. In the end, I bought a new copy of Photo from the Affinity Store and it has worked well. Didn't like having to spend an additional $50, but for the amount of work it saves me using Eye Candy for client work, it was pretty danged cheap! It's not like competitive products where it might be several hundred dollars to buy an additional copy, so it fixed my problem and I'm happy. And with all of the major upgrades/improvements/new features Affinity has provided to date with no upgrade charges, well worth supporting them as much as possible! 

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

Hmm, I wounder if my issue may be twofold then. Unless the free trial version is any different to the full version.
Downloaded the trial of AP 1.8.6 and installed it to its plugin folder (different location to the MAS ver.)

Open an image, select Filters, Plugins, Exposure Software, Eye Candy 7 and still nothing. 😥