You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Masks do not work! URGENT - HIGHEST PRIORITY

I have installed the new 1.7.2. and have opened the last file working on..... did see only grey place until I have unchecked all layers with MASKs! Mask totally do not work!

Please how can I quickly return to previous version, this is a TOTAL SHOW STOPPER!

Thanks Jindra

Jindra

www.fotojindra.cz

Professional Photographer based in Prague

Affinity Photo user - cur.ver. 1.7.1.404 @ Win 10

Further investigation into the problem:......

Masks do not work on GROUPs. Making 2 layers and Grouping them and applying mask to the group makes ALL layers under to be masked..... :(

(On single layers Masking seems does work)

Thanks

Jindra

Jindra

www.fotojindra.cz

What are you trying to achieve ?

Just adding a mask to a group doesn't affect  the layers or masks it comprise until you paint on that mask !

If you don't mind, could you upload the .afphoto file so we can have a look at ?

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

Seems i have the same problem. After updating groups with Adjustment-only content ignore pixel data under group. This is in 1.7.2 release. 
Groups with pixel layers inside are ok, only Adjustment-only groups are broken 

See screenshots and attached file. Look at layer named "Multiply 100% - import from below < DELETE to see problem"

1.jpg

2.jpg

lel59_recopy.afphoto

Yes, IPv6, that is exactly what I am talking about.....

In Previous versions Masks on Group did normally mask only the grouped adjustments, however .....

now in 1.7.2. the same file does not show anything, because any Mask over Group causes, that anything under that Mask till the very bottom.... is masked (even the Background layer) :(

Jindra

Jindra

www.fotojindra.cz

HI @IPv6 @fotojindra

It has nothing to do with grouping.
I think you made it way to complicated.
You added  two separate masks filled with black (black seals, white reveals !!). So it's obvious almost everything is hidden.
You added a levels adj  with a LAB colour format set to master component.
If you select the lightness component and adjust the gamma  slider to taste, you can directly paint on the build in mask of the levels adjustment. If that is what you intended to do ?

See attachment ...

Hubert

lel59_adjusted.afphoto

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

Hi @HVDB

Once again......

Case:

1. Create background layer with a photo

2. Add one adjustment layer

3. And second different adjustment layer

4. Group the two adjustment layers

5. Give the group a black mask

Case normal: changes in the grouped adjustment layers are invisible and you see only the Background layer - your photo

Case 1.7.2.: you do not see anything, not even the Background layer - your photo, because the bug makes everything masked not only the grouped adjustments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bug03.afphoto

Edited by fotojindra
Attachment added.....

Jindra

www.fotojindra.cz

Works fine for me ...

1055955721_Groupedadj.thumb.jpg.777421ab509a6fcdf331f2ef89c1ba7c.jpg

According the help file :

"... adjustments and masks can be applied to the group and will affect all the layers within the group but not those outside the group."

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42

38 minutes ago, HVDB Photography said:

Affinity Photo 2.0.4.1701, Affinity Photo Beta 2.1.0.1781; Affinity Photo 1.10.6.1665,
Affinity Designer 1.10.5.1342, Affinity Designer customer beta 1.10.5.1342;
Affinity Publisher 1.10.5.1342; Affinity Publisher customer beta 1.10.5.1342 + GIMP 2.10.22,  RawTherapee 5.8,  Darktable 3.2.1;

Win10Pro (v. 10.0.17763), IntelCore i7-4790-3.60GHz, ram 8GB, , ssd 256GB, Huion new 1060plus;
Monitor 2D FHD LG 1920 x 1080 px, Onboard Intel Graphics HD 4600.

36 minutes ago, HVDB Photography said:

Works fine for me ...

1055955721_Groupedadj.thumb.jpg.777421ab509a6fcdf331f2ef89c1ba7c.jpg

According the help file :

"... adjustments and masks can be applied to the group and will affect all the layers within the group but not those outside the group."

Ok I just tried new clear file. Put an image into it and then applied adjustments (black and white) and put them under that specific image layer worked fine, then i put those adjustments into a group and well...doesn't work anymore.

LAYERS_4.thumb.png.087d465841a6edeae8cef6d7cb6a5053.png

And just to make things clear, it worked before the update.

19 minutes ago, Tomáš Luža said:

Ok I just tried new clear file. Put an image into it and then applied adjustments (black and white) and put them under that specific image layer worked fine, then i put those adjustments into a group and well...doesn't work anymore. 

LAYERS_4.thumb.png.087d465841a6edeae8cef6d7cb6a5053.png

And just to make things clear, it worked before the update.

Actually logical.
The adjustments affect only the lowest level.
Hide the top level or move the group upwards.

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

Please HVDB ,

You do not understand the point our you are making this on purpose..... from the screenshots I do see you are completely out of the point. On one you have unchecked Mask layer, which would cause the problem. On the other screenshot you did not even followed the instructions leading to the issue :( Do you have really a 1.7.2 version installed?

Thank you for your messages, but please stop adding these no value messages. I am sorry, but I am getting tired of reading it and repling. We do NEED an AFFINITY EXPERT to get involved and managing the repair. It is a bug, I am photographer for 22 years and one of the early users of Affinity...... if the files I have been using and created since early version are now corrupted IT IS A BUG ..... there is no discussion about it, please.

Thank you

Sincerely

Jindra

Jindra

www.fotojindra.cz

27 minutes ago, fotojindra said:

We do NEED an AFFINITY EXPERT to get involved and managing the repair.

Your tone is very rude! No one is obliged to answer you (and you cannot forbid anyone).
And if you only expect answers from a certain group of people, then you should make that explicit in your posts.

Sorry if being rude to anyone, just getting bored of people trying to explain me I am wrong and not understanding the point while me explaining it three times..... so sorry to HVDB, if you ment it seriously, please accept my apology.

While the sentence you have copied "We NEED..... the repair." is not rude at all (at least not in our contry and my comunity :D ) - it is just a pure statement made on no reply from Affinity to this show stopping bug (I have made a workaround meanwhile). I am a photo professional and this makes made my work impossible. I would expect people from Affinity to be working on it by now as of I have been in IT before becoming full-time professional and having such a bug we were working night and day to repair it. This king of bug we have categorized to CRUCIAL - URGENT - we made roll-back of the release and gave it the highest priority to lauch update ASAP.

If there is a way to contact Affinity directly, please let me know, that would help us all.....

Kindly

Jindra

Jindra

www.fotojindra.cz

Yes I do use AP every day too :D

And yes there is a workaround, but it means a lot of work (Macros, older files....).

That is why I am sad about this bug...... am now opening a file by file..... and I will give a further results of my investigation......... but please PaulAffinity and others, open the file I have inserted and tell me if you see the "black and green brush drawing" or not..... It should have been seen as the Background layer is not masked at all, only the adjustments above are grouped and mask...... and please do not make the same trick as HVDB with unchecking the mask layer :D

Thanks Jindra

Bug03.afphoto

Edited by fotojindra
Attachment added.....

Jindra

www.fotojindra.cz

Seems all is fine until we add a mask to a group of adjustments, and instead of masking the adjustments only, the mask do strange results.
(I don't understand why I end up with this eraser brush stroke, the mask is erasing all that is below, not only the group content, and the (transparent) background of the file is displayed).

2019-08-17_150431.png.b40f51e817af958514dba20834b6bbb7.png

masks_test.afphoto

I agree, the behavior of the Grouped Masks changed in this current release. It should not affect, hide or reveal, layers outside the group. That's by Serif's own definition in the help files. Just for clarification and confirmation, I installed the 1.6.5 version and the grouped masks worked as we would expect. (I was also checking on another bug, the Levels Adjustment Histogram being grey and not color).

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Thank you very much - Ron P. and Wosven - for supporting me :)

YES exactly as we 3 do describe the same case, there is no further discussion needed, there is an awful bug with the GROUP / MASK features strange behaviour in version 1.7.2.

To prove it further I am inserting further attachments proving opening older files (created in 1.7.1.) in 1.7.2 is showing files corrupted.....

Totally the same file once opened with 1.7.2 and the other in 1.7.1 without any changes made to it.

Jindra

Bug001_1.7.2_version.png

Bug003_1.7.1_original.png

Jindra

www.fotojindra.cz

7 minutes ago, Wosven said:

Sometimes it's easier to provide a sample file to help understand, when screenshots don't help. We're not pro or anti, we just want to help, and it's not always easy :)

Screenshots are nice, but an actual .afphoto file is usually better :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, Gnobelix said:

Actually logical.
The adjustments affect only the lowest level.
Hide the top level or move the group upwards.

Cheers

Well it might look logical but it is not what you think it is. In this case adjustments should affect upper layer (actually only the upper layer) becasue they are bind to it (I don't know any other words to better describe it). It should and DID work just like I am describing before 1.7.2 update.

EDIT: OK since this is still confusing for someone I will demonstrate further more.

Here you can see that adjustments are not just put below top layer they are put "inside top layer" aka bind to. Then they were put into group so it is easily managable (like hide or show) but that group is still "inside top layer" so it still should affect top layer (actually ONLY that layer).

layers_5.thumb.jpg.2f8da7dca1c52eed8a37a03296f810a6.jpg

Here you can see how that works wonders without group.

layers_5b.thumb.jpg.19f1528e64697a47ebbbb762e7f5f581.jpg

And here you can see how this can be usefull (that it affects only that specific layer).

layers_5c.thumb.jpg.da56c7c73492a7610864c8edfced0612.jpg

And finally here you can see how it again doesn't work when used as grouped adjustments.

layers_5d.thumb.jpg.78cd23b326e40d78197ff8a82c49ad65.jpg

I am actually confused that it is confusing for someone as I thought that this method is bread and butter for almost anyone who works with this kind of software?

23 hours ago, fotojindra said:

Further investigation into the problem:......

Masks do not work on GROUPs. Making 2 layers and Grouping them and applying mask to the group makes ALL layers under to be masked..... :(

(On single layers Masking seems does work)

Thanks

Jindra

@fotojindra I completely understand your frustration because I am also very annoyed at this bug since I installed the new update and havent been able to work efficiently because of it. Here is a "workaround" that I found which works great. I contacted Affinity Photo explaining the bug and how it is frustrating and annoying, uninstalled the latest version and reinstalled v1.7.1.404 which works like a charm. I am going to wait till they actually fix the bug and then will install the fixed version of new update.

Edited by Osama Farqaleet
Forgot to quote the specific post I am trying to reply to