You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello

Are there any dedicated Affinity users who can tell me what you gain with Publisher? I've been using Designer & Photo for a little over a year now & loving it once I got used to Affinity. :12_slight_smile: (I had Adobe PS before this). What can you do with Publisher that you can't with Designer or Photo?

Thanks for your advice!

I have all three products, and that's a fairly broad question to answer, but in general Publisher is just more geared up for producing final products, such as perhaps a book or PDF where you need things like master pages, and page numbering, and general laying out of pages, whereas the other products are more geared to creating the individual assets used in the final publication. Think of Publisher as the master station where all the other assets come together and form the final finished thing. The studio link is very cool, enabling switching between three personas (roughly the three products, but not in their entirety). Things like wrapping text around images, flowing text between multi column designs become very easy in Publisher.

Artboards are great, but sometimes pages are also practical. All the more so when I can place the same pattern elements on all pages. In the design process, I often use pages, although in the end I don't intend to send the file to a print shop.

Thanks to DeepL.

Odd, I only get one when I open a new document. But the masters are basically used to put items onto (such as headers/footers with page numbers etc), that are then applied to pages that use that master (pages can have several masters applied to them). What this means is you can change the master later and pages that have that master will be updated to match. You can define multiple master pages and master pages can have master pages within them, so it's a very flexible setup.

1 hour ago, Palatino said:

That's right. Unless you click here:

That's the 'facing pages' tickbox right? Even with that ticked I only get a single master created on a new document ...maybe I've changed something somewhere else tthat has remembered my setting.

Just now, Palatino said:

Yes. If you uncheck the box, two master pages will appear.

Not in my case ... but I'm pretty sure when I first used publisher it had the two masters, so I'm pretty sure I've changed some preference somewhere!

37 minutes ago, Palatino said:

Sorry, correction: first new with check mark, then remove check mark.

Nope, no matter what I do I'm only getting one master appear! I can create new masters but I don't get them upon a new document anymore. I've tried checking, unchecking, new document, more checking, existing document more checking/unchecking, nothing seems to bring me back the Master B by default apart from me adding it in manually. Oh well, it's of little consequence anyway, I can just add one in if I need it.