You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

bring together two publisher documents

• Staff

Hi dgs and Welcome to the Forums,

Use File>Place to select the other document and you'll be able to place it on the page.  If that Publisher file has more than one page, you'll be able to select which one you want to display on the page from the Context Toolbar :) 

Unfortunately you have to do some extra work. To edit the placed Publisher document you have to double-click the placed element or pick Edit Document from the Context Toolbar. Better it would be without this extra step.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Thanks for the quick responses.
Unfortunately, they do not really solve my problem. 
Let me explain:
Recently we work with affinity publisher. as part of the team, several employees work on a project in parallel. I would now like to summarize the results of the individual employees in a single document and continue to work. I expected to be able to drag and drop the pages from a document into the target document and edit all linked content, page numbers and master pages. As I know it from indesign. 

• Staff
3 minutes ago, dgs said:

I expected to be able to drag and drop the pages from a document into the target document and edit all linked content, page numbers and master pages. As I know it from indesign. 

Would make for a good feature request.  Please keep in mind tho, we are not a direct copy of Indesign so won't do everything the same way.

17 minutes ago, stokerg said:

Please keep in mind tho, we are not a direct copy of Indesign so won't do everything the same way.

Nobody would expect this and it is good to have a fresh view on old habits, BUT some functions like adding pages from other documents should be done easier like it is at the moment. Think about adding 50 Publisher pages to an existing Publisher document. Adding 50 pages and on every page adding the document and selecting the correct page? To edit an additional page, being redirect to another tab? Not really an argument for switching over to Publisher.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

I did not expect a copy of Indesign when switching to Affinity Publisher, but a serious alternative to Adobe in professional use. for the most part, the publisher also meets these expectations. But the lack of opportunity to bring together several publisher documents directly (just like in Indesign) makes it difficult to work on joint projects in a team ...

4 hours ago, dgs said:

But the lack of opportunity to bring together several publisher documents directly (just like in Indesign) makes it difficult to work on joint projects in a team ...

That's certainly true, and over time I'm sure that capability will appear in Publisher, too. Remember, this is really its first release, and if Serif waited until everything that we (and they) want was possible we wouldn't have Publisher at all yet.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 8/16/2019 at 11:43 PM, stokerg said:

Use File>Place to select the other document and you'll be able to place it on the page.  If that Publisher file has more than one page, you'll be able to select which one you want to display on the page from the Context Toolbar :) 

Thanks for pointing this out! I tried this a while ago but missed that you could select the pages you wanted to view from the document :7_sweat_smile: Agree with others, it's not a full-alternative to the way InDesign handles it, but it's definitely something. Only problem I found is that it's cropping to the page bounds of my source docs. My source docs have 3mm bleed set - is it possible to include the bleed as an option when importing/viewing? Or do you need to create the source docs with the bleed as part of the spread dims (i.e. 210 x 297mm with 3 mm bleed becomes a  216 x 303mm spread)? 

Secondly ... I haven't tried this yet, but will these Publisher docs with linked .afpub files export to a print-ready PDF OK?  

Thanks!