You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Slice size rounding differ on the objects with the same silhouette

5argon

• Staff

Hi 5argon,
This happens when the dimensions of the objects and/or their X,Y coordinates are not integer pixel values. If you change the doc units to pixels and check their X,Y coordinates and dimensions in the transform panel you will see there's decimal values there. Remove them/adjust object's positions and dimensions and all will export with the same size.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have a follow up on this. I want to ask is it really a design that one must align an object to a whole pixel to ensure correct export?

I think the correct requirement should be depending on object's size rather than it's coordinate. For example these are 4 empty artboards, all the same 1024x1024 integer size. Common sense would be : if I slice-export all these artboards I would get all 1024x1024 images. (For this instance it is a setup for icon design) However, because their artboard position (on "world" space, outside the artboard) aren't perfect integer, the resulting slices are either 1024 or 1025.

1210508638_Screenshot2019-08-2620_11_16.thumb.png.795e6c5f28e7ac29472a089d7589480a.png1732380229_Screenshot2019-08-2620_10_56.thumb.png.ca8fc18b481d3ea6c27f5eb0921d7ffe.png

icon20-2.afdesign

Whilst I don't disagree with you, I think perhaps the counter-argument might be to treat artboards with the same attention to detail as the graphics you add to them.

When you create a normal page and likewise the first artboard (if created using the New Document dialogue) both are positioned using integer coordinates rather than sub-pixel positioning, so why not treat any subsequent artboards with the same level of accuracy (rather than positioning them 'semi-randomly') by simply using the 'Force Pixel Alignment' option.

Whilst others may disagree, accepting this is the way Affinity software works and simply ensuring 'Force Pixel Alignment' is active when creating, duplicating, moving or positioning artboards isn't really an inconvenience, it's a single mouse click and it avoids any issues when exporting slices.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• Staff

Hi 5argon,
Affinity Designer treats artboards like any other object. They are not independent entities on their own (e.g. canvas) and appear listed in the Layers tab as any other object. In fact you can convert them to objects and vice-versa if required (check menu Layer > Convert Artboard to Object and Convert Object to Artboard) and move/transform/align them as any other regular object. They simply have a few attributes disabled. Other than that they are subject to the same snapping/alignment operations as regular objects. The best way to ensure you get them positioned correctly is enabling Force Pixel Alignment from the start in the Snapping Manager (and Move By Whole Pixels disabled) and making sure you use cmd+click and drag (on canvas) to duplicate them instead of alt since it overrides snapping and by extension force pixel alignment.