You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't export transparent png

hi,

version 1.7.1.404

I'm trying to make a button with transparent rounded corners.

I have transparent background checked in document.

I've tried this: "So, I did flood selection tool > Select > Invert pixel selection.  Then > Selection Brish Tool > Refine > New Layer

I then exported the new layer."  That didn't work.

I also tried this: 

• (03)How to Export a logo in Affinity Photo to a .png file with Transparency:

In case you have created a logo in affinity photo, provided that you have already have removed the background color[using the 'flood select tool'[w] or other selection options]. If the background is transparent you will see white and grey boxes. You can now export .png file with transparency either using :

File > Export... [OR] 'Ctrl' + 'Alt' + 'Shift' + 'S' and choosing .png

[OR] second method would be using the 'Export Persona' Persona[its at the end with 3 circles]. Once you are in this persona,to the right side you will find Panels for 'Layers' and 'Slices'. All Logos or Graphics that are created in modules like for example 'Layers','Groups' etc are already provided as slices in the export panel,based on their dimensions(length,width),but you can create a custom slice by using the 'Slice Tool'(shortcut 'S' in export persona) to define your own area of slice.

Once slices are there,you can select each slice,in this case your logo image,and click the play like button(a Triangle button that collapses or expands slices) at the left side to reveal the export options that you can select. Click the '+' button to add multiple images,here you will choose the 'PNG' option from the dropdown. now click the 'export' button for each image to export one image format at a time manually,or you can click the 'Export Slices' which indicates the no of slices selected and export all the image formats in one go. 

In case you want to export the .png file when ever you make any changes to the layer,you can check the 'Continuous' option to let Affinity photo automatically export the .png file for you in background,when ever you save the document.

That didn't work.

how do I do it???????

thank you, Duane

• Staff

Hi DuaneW,

Welcome to the forums :)

Could you please provide a copy of your .afphoto file here so I can look into this for you?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

hi, here is what you asked for.  the subscribe2original file is the file I'm trying to remove the corners from.

thank you

UPDATE: I think it is working correctly. On export the white/gray grid is huge and it looked as if I still had a color on the corners. is there any way to shrink that background grid?

subscribe2.afphoto

subscribe2original.png

Edited by DuaneW
update

It seems to me that document is set up correctly and it exports and displays as expected.

Chrome displays this in black background – looks ok (though sides show antialiasing problem, graphic was built to white background – this does not though affect corners which were clearly made transparent separately);

Safari shows this in white background – looks ok.

There's a another technique, possibly more involved but it gives good results. Doesn't work with every image, but in this case it works well.

Duplicate the background image so you have a copy of it on layers on the white background.

With that layer use filters > colors > erase white paper

This will remove all the white in the image (including the centre piece which you don't want, so we'll fix that next)

Back on the background layer make a rectangular selection just inside the red outline (and completely clear of the corners), so it includes the text and play button. Now press ctrl + j to put that selection on it's own layer. This fills in the missing white bits in the centre region but doesn't add the white back into the corners.

Turn off the background layer leaving just the transparent layer and the layer you selected from the background.

Export as PNG, and you'll get a lovely clean semi transparent edge.