You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Letterspacing & formatting on imported PDFs

I have a document created in an old version of InDesign (CS, on old Mac 10.6.8) and converted to PDF through InDesign. The PDF includes embedded fonts (weights of Minion Pro OpenType), and the fonts are installed on both systems I am using. The PDF looks great when viewed with Acrobat/Adobe Reader. When I open the PDF in Affinity Publisher (newer Mac, OS 10.12.6), it's as though the typeface is not available: letterspacing is a mess, Old Style Figures are changed to standard figures, small caps are changed to standard text, etc. When I then export that PDF from Affinity Publisher as a PDF, the bad formatting is also exported; the fonts are shown in the PDF file as embedded subsets, just as in the original. Is there any way to re-establish the formatting and spacing from the original PDF in Affinity Publisher?

Bad Format.png

Good format.png

• 4 weeks later...

As regards the OpenType features of small caps and OSFs, PDFs have no concept of OT Features used and typically only reference the base Unicode codepoints. Even in the cases where the Private Use Area (PUA) plane in a font is where the OT Features are located, the Unicode codepoints for the base glyphs are listed first, then the PUA glyph codepoints are listed.

This behavior, how Affinity applications are handling such OT Features, is correctly handled. Such features need to be reapplied in most all cases.