You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Overflow and Text Repetition Bug

Hello world,

My last week's Bug is not yet answered upon, today I stumbled accross an even weirder behaviour which I captured on Video.

AP 1.7.1 duplicated a large chunk of text at the very bottomn of my text frames and reflows it into the next frame if I create one.
This is reproducible on frames where it appears, and no changing the text / editing / re-formatting that i do removes this problem.

The original and duplicated text are in symc, If I change it it changes in both frames …

Please help – text management should be more relilable in an Publisher …

Thanks,

--Thomas

6 minutes ago, Thomas Ganter said:

Please help – text management should be more relilable in an Publisher …

Hello Thomas,

You are encouraged to use the latest beta 1.7.2 over the 1.7.1.

Please read about it by clicking the below link.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

2 hours ago, Jon P said:

I've responded to your other thread, if you want to upload the file to the link there I'll take a look at this as well.

Hi Jon P,

no, this thread just works fine as long as I get responses.

So, this is a recording demonstrating the very same behaviour with the beta I just downloaded.

There is also nothing secret about the document, if it helps I'll upload it here (or, can I DM it to you?) if I gete instructions on how to package/ upload a document with Fonts and all?

Greetings,

--Thomas

2 hours ago, Jon P said:

It seems to be due to the picture, but I can't see exactly why, but either way it looks like a bug so I've logged it.

Thanks

Thanks – will I get notified when this is fixed in the next beta, or must I scrape through release notes?

Is there a Bug ID I can look for?

As mentioned in the Video  --  I need to ship the finished product to the printer very latest on August 25th, and for this Issue we made the bet on Affinity Publisher.

Thanks once more,

--Thomas

• Staff

It's been tagged with the ID but we don't use this ID when referring to fixes in release notes, it is only internal. I've left a note on the issue for this thread to be bumped when the issue is fixed.

That being said, this bug can be worked around so I wouldn't expect it to prevent you from finishing the project? Unless I've missed something?

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

26 minutes ago, Jon P said:

That being said, this bug can be worked around so I wouldn't expect it to prevent you from finishing the project? Unless I've missed something?

Hi Jon P,

no, I can simply move the superfluous Text Frames out of the Document and onto the Canvas  –  but the lagging feat of course is that there is some lingering duplication in the document that all scrutiny and careful manual/ visual proofreading will not spot.

It's not like export is broken (at least I hope not ... *grin*).

Thanks and greetings,

--Thomas

19 hours ago, Jon P said:

wouldn't expect it to prevent you from finishing the project?

OK, I have to revert my previous statement.

This now is a production-blocker for me.

See the attached video for a demonstration, this is utter ridiculous and I fail to see how I would be able to work around this other than *manually* flowing text (but then I can also switch to PowerPoint for my Publishing needs – there would be not much difference).

Please *urgently* help.

Some more experimentation here, and it seems to be driven by

a) either the fact that I use text frames from the master page, or

b) re-flowing text around another, linked text frame (heading text frame accross the full spread, copy text frame being reflown)

See Video for a demonstration.

@Thomas, you had tagged this topic to be "reproducible" – but I am not able to make the  issue of duplicated text and weird text selection position occur in a test file.

v172 text flow with masters.afpub

So I assume the reason for iusses in your .afpub could be related to that specific content, for instance the way how the text came into your document and the way the layout was created. For inspection: Could you upload the document, possibly only a few pages and not embedded images, and/or with different text in case yours should not become public yet?

Or: do you get the same issues if you paste your text into my sample .afpub?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

For inspection: Could you upload the document, possibly only a few pages and not embedded images, and/or with different text in case yours should not become public yet?

Hi thomaso, I did upload the file and all the fonts used (without the graphics) for Jon P from this forum a few days ago.

I am happy to re-upload the current version of the file if you send me a dropbox link.

This is a parish newsletter, so no secret content or anything.

I'm sorry you've been having this problem. It is triggered by the interaction between the drop cap, text flow and the text wrap. I've attached an example file that demonstrates it. This is about the simplest document I could make. In your file the key text wrap was around the heading frame that flows into the main frame. We do have a fix for this internally, but it probably won't be included now until 1.8. In the meantime, a workaround for this type of layout is to resize the main text frame so it doesn't overlap the object that has the text wrap.

1.afpub

7 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

I'm sorry you've been having this problem. It is triggered by the interaction between the drop cap, text flow and the text wrap. I've attached an example file that demonstrates it. This is about the simplest document I could make. In your file the key text wrap was around the heading frame that flows into the main frame. We do have a fix for this internally, but it probably won't be included now until 1.8. In the meantime, a workaround for this type of layout is to resize the main text frame so it doesn't overlap the object that has the text wrap.

1.afpub

Hi Dave,

thanks for the update  --  and briliant that you have a fix (assuming 1.8 is not too far into the future).

I *think* have have worked around all these issues (found a few more along the way but was to pressed to post here  --  maybe I will once I have reproduced it).

Now I need to just carefully review all 48 pages visually to ensure no unwanted side effects allear.

Greetings,

--Thomas

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

We believe the issue "Image that causes overflow can cause text to be duplicated" has been fixed in 1.8.0 [Publisher beta is currently available if you care to check]. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon