You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Black and White Vector Masking

Hi!

I have a black and white vector layer which I would like to use as a mask for another. However, Designer always sets it as a clipping path, instead of using black und white for masking. Is there any way to change that behavior, or at least to make all black parts of the layer transparent so can work as a clipping path?

The reason behind this is that I‘m trying to rasterize a gradient for a monochrome print. I‘ve prepared a B/W mask using the Halftone Filter:

C54A174A-9320-4EDC-8FEE-BC80E1601FE5.thumb.jpeg.d9acab1f237d834523611556f639cd53.jpeg

Demo file for the above image: vector mask.afdesign

27 minutes ago, Wosven said:

Hi,

The half-tone filter come from APhoto. Why don't you rasterize and transform this effect to a mask in AP and use it? (That's not "cleaner"!)

Can the size of those half-tone circles be changed in AP? If so, I don't see the option for it even after searching for a bit. 

31 minutes ago, Wosven said:

Why don't you rasterize and transform this effect to a mask in AP and use it?

That would of course be a workaround, but it would be rasterized to a finite resolution and no longer be editable. In reality, the project is more complex than the above example and moving things around until they look good is important.

4 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Can the size of those half-tone circles be changed in AP? If so, I don't see the option for it even after searching for a bit. 

Yes! It is the first option wheel in the filter‘s menu.

The problem is that my work actually contains multiple monochromatic layers on top of each other, so I need transparency. This is why the above blend mode workaround (from my initial post) doesn’t work.

7 hours ago, fii said:

(Regarding changing the size of the halftone circles): Yes! It is the first option wheel in the filter‘s menu.

Sorry, I know about that control for changing the circles uniformly. But in the original example given in the top post, the circles seem to change size from left to right. Maybe this is an illusion? 

Well. I suppose that is a better workaround that rasterizing it, but it will still leave the gradient uneditable...

I would much prefer if there was any way to just set the layer with the live filter and everything as a mask.