You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

@Darren Rose

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

I see an issue with line thickness on the triangle and it looks like the gradient has been lost or mis-transformed on the radial transparency white hilight.

We need the SVG file to understand more about this problem.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

OK, this has been reported to the developers, but it is not a new problem. Thanks for your help. I do not have a work around for this, sorry.

Perhaps you have another program that can read the SVG in and then re-Export without using fill:url(#x) to define the fill/transparency, which is the part we do not interpret accurately at present.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

Did you check if either of them can re-export it in a way that Affinity can import correctly?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

That's an Inkscape generated SVG (in Inkscape format) with applied gaussian blur filters, which I believe Affinity's SVG parser doesn't know to make any use out of.

<filter
       height="1.72"
       width="1.72"
       y="-0.36000001"
       x="-0.36000001"
       id="a">
      <feGaussianBlur
         id="feGaussianBlur2-7"
         stdDeviation="2.46429" />
    </filter>

<path
       style="fill:#ffffff;fill-opacity:0.75;fill-rule:evenodd;filter:url(#a)"
       id="path36"
       d="m 111.31,731.2 c -3.283,-3.925 -3.5949,-6.1477 -2.0238,-10.438 3.3358,-6.1448 4.4954,-8.0682 5.41,-9.4048 1.9008,5.1616 2.1257,19.14 -3.3862,19.843 z"
       transform="matrix(0.75,0,0,0.80303,78.571,150.98)" />

Thus the applied filter isn't taken into account for those gradients and it looks instead like this in Affinity!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff

Yes, that seems to be correct, thanks @v_kyr

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

4 hours ago, v_kyr said:

That's an Inkscape generated SVG (in Inkscape format) with applied gaussian blur filters, which I believe Affinity's SVG parser doesn't know to make any use out of.

Thus the applied filter isn't taken into account for those gradients and it looks instead like this in Affinity!

Okay thanks for the information.  Hopefully one day Affinity will support Inkscape generated SVG files, since it is probably one of the most common sources of files

Well it doesn't matter if it's a Inkscape generated SVG (since Inkscape can also export SVG drawings as a more general SVG format compliance), or from some other SVG capable software here. Instead it has overall more to do with the spectrum/degree of SVG specification support, which is limited in Affinity and thus far from beeing complete.

KeywordsFilter EffectsfeGaussianBlur

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Okay that make sense. as a newcomer to Affinity I am surprised they don't support it fully?, I thought the whole point of the product was to be the best at what it does? Seems odd that Boxy SVG (https://boxy-svg.com/) an app which can be bought for under £10 can do it, but Serif can't.

Shame as I like everything else about it, and would be ready to spend some money if this worked better

I appreciate Boxy SVG very much and use it to prepare graphics for the web (control code and the like). But I don't design anything with Boxy SVG. The program is made for a very special field of application and is also very good in it, but in the sum is not comparable to Affinity Designer/Publisher.

I consider filters to be something very "special" and would never expect them to show the same results across multiple programs. Here's an example of what happens when I shrink your file in Affinity. The reverse effect is also available in Boxy SVG.

1159147_DesignervsBoxySVG.png.321ae2a1765b5ce8e68f1a5f1ceeb42a.png

Thanks to DeepL.

14 hours ago, Darren Rose said:

Seems odd that Boxy SVG (https://boxy-svg.com/) an app which can be bought for under £10 can do it, but Serif can't.

Well that Boxy SVG tool uses a ...

Chromium-based rendering engine. The editor renders SVG documents exactly the same way as the most popular desktop and mobile web browsers.

... so it's no surprice, since Webbrowsers (Firefox, Chrome etc.) tend to have the best full feature supported SVG engines included. Thus tools which use webbrowser based SVG render engines do support a much wider and richer set of the SVG spec, they can parse and interpret a whole bunch more of possible SVG code.

Yes but there is one essential difference then now, when you save again as SVG code exported from Affinity, it will now contain pixels (an image) for the with gaussian blur affected parts. In Inkscape and Boxy those areas were vectors, in Affinity these now got pixels due to the applied "Gauße Unschärfe Ebeneneffect".

• 3 years later...

Old thread, but I hit the SVG import problem. I completed a test to become a drone pilot and the license card was downloadable in SVG. After importing into Affinity Designer 2, it looked not even close. The QR code was misplaced etc.

It imported fine in Inkscape, but exporting it again to SVG or PDF did produce something that Affinity Designer 2 think is blank.

The solution I found was to run a command line tool that I assume cleaned up and/or normalized the SVG to something Affinity Designer 2 is ok with

brew install librsvg
rsvg-convert -f svg -o dronecard_cleaned_up.svg dronecard.svg
kent

• 1 month later...
On 5/21/2023 at 12:32 PM, kboortz said:

Old thread, but I hit the SVG import problem. I completed a test to become a drone pilot and the license card was downloadable in SVG. After importing into Affinity Designer 2, it looked not even close. The QR code was misplaced etc.

It imported fine in Inkscape, but exporting it again to SVG or PDF did produce something that Affinity Designer 2 think is blank.

The solution I found was to run a command line tool that I assume cleaned up and/or normalized the SVG to something Affinity Designer 2 is ok with

brew install librsvg
rsvg-convert -f svg -o dronecard_cleaned_up.svg dronecard.svg
kent

Beautiful, thank you! Can confirm svg->svg round-tripping through rsvg transformed my sigil (originally constructed in Inkscape off a hand-drawn template) into a form in which the Affinity suite can handle it properly.

To allow the Affinity team to try to figure out the bugs that prevent a SVG that works in other, strictly standards-compliant renderers from behaving properly, I'm attaching both the original (`tcarls-sigil.svg`, rendering incorrectly in Affinity) and post-processed version (`tcarls-sigil-rsvg.svg`, which Affinity renders correctly) here.

tcarls-sigil.svg tcarls-sigil-rsvg.svg