PoloSpace

Superscript and Subscript not working

Whenever I tried making any text become a superscript, nothing happens. Weird enough, when I subscript the word "Healthcare", only the "e", and "a" becomes a subscript.

image.jpeg.aaff4b1d2540a3e80ab543a7f3a04dae.jpeg

Hi PoloSpace,
The superscript/subscript buttons in the Character panel only work with fonts that support/has the respective glyphs as designed by the font author. For text that don't have them use the S field from the Positioning and Transform section right above in the same panel which will scale a reposition the letter to simulate superscript/subscript.

Having the same issue here, and I feel like the super- and sub-script feature used to work just fine before one of the more recent updates. As a scientist, I use a lot of sub and superscript so fixing this in one of the next updates would be highly appreciated.

35 minutes ago, nonresidentalien said:

Having the same issue here, and I feel like the super- and sub-script feature used to work just fine before one of the more recent updates. As a scientist, I use a lot of sub and superscript so fixing this in one of the next updates would be highly appreciated.

It would have worked differently in Designer or Photo in 1.6, where Serif was willing to create  faux subscript and superscript characters automatically for those characters without font support.

They improved 1.7, to improve typographic appearance of text, and all the 1.7 applications with consistently in this area.

If you think 1.7 worked differently then you were probably using a different font, with more built-in characters with the typographic features.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.502 Beta

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

If you think 1.7 worked differently then you were probably using a different font, with more built-in characters with the typographic features.

Thanks for pointing the changes regarding the 'faux subscript'. It is not that I would not appreciate proper typesetting. However, when preparing figures for scientific journals there are strict restrictions as to which fonts are allowed. If standard fonts such as Arial and consorts do not cut it, things are going to be difficult and tedious for us.

I think one should have the option to allow for faux subscript when typographic accuracy is not an issue.

52 minutes ago, nonresidentalien said:

I think one should have the option to allow for faux subscript when typographic accuracy is not an issue.

You have that, by using the Positioning and Transform portion of the Character panel, rather than the Typography portion. The "S:" box will let you select faux super- or subscripts for any characters in the font.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.502 Beta

On 9/15/2019 at 5:15 PM, nonresidentalien said:

However, when preparing figures for scientific journals there are strict restrictions as to which fonts are allowed.

Could you please be specific about which fonts you are required to use.

Perhaps it would be useful to review the actual subscript/superscript features of those fonts.
And also scientific inferiors, ordinals, tabular figures, etc.

I am already working on this for another project and many of the fonts may be the same ones.