You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Column/Row Guides snapping doesn’t always work as expected

Publisher 1.7.1.404, Windows 10 Home 1903.

When Preview Mode is OFF I can only snap to Column/Row Guides when Only Snap To Visible Objects is switched ON even though the Column/Row Guides are visible.
When Preview Mode is ON I cannot snap to Column/Row Guides at all no matter if Only Snap To Visible Objects is ON or OFF.
See attached GIF.
When Preview Mode is ON I think snapping to Column/Row Guides should be allowed if Snap To Guides is ON and Only Snap To Visible Objects is switched OFF.
This would make page layout much easier as there would be less switching back and forth to/from Preview Mode.

column-row-guide-snapping.gif

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

When Preview Mode is ON I think snapping to Column/Row Guides should be allowed

Or, perhaps your column/row guides should not be visible in Preview Mode :)

Other Guides dragged from the ruler disappear in Preview Mode, and if you have columns shown as outlines rather than fills, those outlines disappear.

Preview Mode is supposed (I think) to give you a page view as it would print or export, which certainly wouldn't include any guides.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Or, perhaps your column/row guides should not be visible in Preview Mode

The column/row guides are not visible in Preview Mode.
What I’m asking for is to be able to snap to the invisible column/row guides when Only Snap To Visible Objects is switched OFF.

9 minutes ago, GarryP said:

The column/row guides are not visible in Preview Mode.
What I’m asking for is to be able to snap to the invisible column/row guides when Only Snap To Visible Objects is switched OFF.

Sorry; I misinterpreted your video, and an experiment that I did.

Snapping to invisible guides would be interesting, and I can see that it might be useful.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

That’s fine.
I often find myself working mostly in Preview Mode so being able to snap to my layout guides while in that mode is very useful.

One extra thing that I thought of with Preview Mode that could be useful is if, when you are dragging something, and stop for a second or so (with the mouse button still held down), the guides become temporarily visible then go invisible again (fade out perhaps) when you start dragging again. This would help on complex layouts where guides/columns/rows are close to each other so you can make sure you are snapping to the correct one. Don't know how well this would work in practice but it sounds good at the moment.

This has to do with a difference between how the Grid is displayed with whether Metal or Open GL is on, the two systems have different origins and only the Metal version is able to snap. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks Pauls.
I can’t think of why snapping to row/column guides should not be allowed while Preview Mode is switched on – other guides can be snapped to so why not them too? – but maybe someone has a really good reason that I don’t know about.
Old Bruce: It would be a shame if this feature was restricted in certain systems. If this is the case then I think it should be mentioned in the Help.

On 8/16/2019 at 4:47 AM, GarryP said:

I can’t think of why snapping to row/column guides should not be allowed while Preview Mode is switched on – other guides can be snapped to so why not them too? – but maybe someone has a really good reason that I don’t know about.

Agreed. I would expect snapping to work depending on the Snap setting being on or off, and that's all. Visibility or Preview mode should have nothing to do with it.