You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Show No Break text as highlighted

Dear developers,

Please add an option what show No Break character as highlighted text. I used on a few word this Option for better hyphenation, but when text will move, I cannot see where applied this option. If can you add a highlight to these words, texts, this will great help in future. This highlight feature can show or hidden like Special Characters or Fields. 

Do you mean the non-breaking space (Alt+Space, or Text > Insert > Spaces and Tabs > Non-Breaking Space)? If so, it's already shown when you enable Text > Show Special Characters:

image.png.bfd155a0d4afdbc1e6188207f607e55b.png

Or, are you talking about using the No Break option in the Character Panel?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@walt.farrell We talking about using the No Break option in the Character Panel. I use Non-Breaking space too between words, but when I get hyphenation ex. mond-tam, but I need keep in one word (mondtam), then I use No Break option. But when book text is move when I break it, then No Breaked text is move too, but I cannot see, what was this. I need a visually option can I see these texts.

Make a character style for the non-breaking words, when you are finished you can change the highlight colour to transparent. In one go you can mark the words as non-breaking and highlight them altogether.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

7 hours ago, mykee said:

I used on a few word this Option for better hyphenation, but when text will move, I cannot see where applied this option.

I personally would broaden the request to highlight all local overrides. Like you, my most frequent use of it would be to deal with text reflow.

When I finally upgraded from InDesign CS 5.5 to CC a couple years ago, the one new feature that I was really excited about was the ability to highlight overrides. I use it a lot, and now that I just got it relatively recently, I am sad to "lose" it again when I move over to Publisher.

I hope something similar eventually makes it into Publisher. In fact, Publisher could really take it to the next level by providing a highlighting interface where you could customize what is highlighted, whether all highlights, or a selection among things like tracking changes, leading changes, no break, etc.. And then the next level of awesomeness would be to allow the user to save different presets of highlighting settings. As for as UX, I think the current snapping manager interface (which is a superb implementation in my opinion) would serve as a good model. Just as you can turn snapping on and off with a single click, yet you can manually change settings or select presents, I think you could do the same kind of interface with a "highlight manager."

To me, that would be a killer feature that would set Publisher apart, and I would use something like that a lot, but I wonder how many others would find it helpful. Of course, even if it had wide appeal, I understand it would have to be a later addition after more essentials are nailed down. But perhaps Serif could keep it in mind.

On 8/15/2019 at 4:24 PM, garrettm30 said:

To me, that would be a killer feature that would set Publisher apart, and I would use something like that a lot, but I wonder how many others would find it helpful. Of course, even if it had wide appeal, I understand it would have to be a later addition after more essentials are nailed down. But perhaps Serif could keep it in mind.

Same here. I was trying to find out, if this is implemented into publisher already.
When dealing with a lot of text, this is the biggest help you can get.