You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta (1.7.2.153 - GM) [BETA CLOSED]

• Staff

This beta has been superseded by the release of Affinity Photo for macOS 1.7.2 to the public. Check back on this forum for future betas.

Purpose: Features, Improvements, Fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Photo

Mac App Store: Submitted

Download ZIP: Download link removed as 1.7.2 is now live

Auto-update: Pending

Hello,

We are pleased to announce the immediate availability of the final build of Affinity Photo 1.7.2 for macOS.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

This beta is an incremental update to the 1.7.1 version recently released to all customers. We recommend that you use this beta in preference to the store version if you are affected by any of the issues listed below.

Affinity Photo Team  :ph34r:

Changes This Build

- Absolute (Kelvin) white balance can be stored in develop presets.
- StudioLink integration tweaks.
- Improve robustness of ABR import.
- Help tweaks.
- Localisation tweaks.

Changes Since 1.7.1

- Made flood select work on placed images.
- Fixed issue rasterising groups which contain live filters.
- Fixed a crash when using the colour picker tool on a Touch Bar laptop.
- Fixed double click always opening a new document.
- Fixed issue with IME popover not dismissing.
- Fixed crop tool drag-to-crop behaviour (again).
- Assorted text fixes and improvements.
- Help tweaks.
- Localisation tweaks.

- Numerous fixes for live filter rendering - especially when grouped.
- Fixed S&H filter background colour on old macOS (probably).
- Fixed crashes when saving batch jobs as .afphoto.
- Japanese IME input fixes.
- Renamed “Absolute size” to “Resample” in the crop tool.
- Fixed some DNGs importing incorrectly.
- Fixed develop crop not rounding to whole pixels.
- Fixed PSD import when file has a solid white background layer.
- Lens correction database improvements.
- Metadata mining improvements.

- Resize document fixes.
- Notarised for Catalina.
- Improved SVG loading.
- “D” key resets fills to black & white.
- Brush barrel rotation is no longer inverted when using Wacom stylus.
- Make Apple Sidecar work properly.
- Develop performance tweaks.

- Added TGA export.
- Added “Remove Black Matte” and “Remove White Matte” filters.
- Shadows and highlights filter can now use either the 1.6 or 1.7 method.
- Flood fill too can now sample from layers beneath etc. Also supports blend modes.
- Flood select tool can now sample from all layers.
- Added keyboard nudge support to the crop tool.
- Added align and distribute toolbar button groups to Photo.

- Different icon for beta builds.
- Cancelling a crop will now preserve the “drag to set crop” state properly.
- Added a warning when deleting a global colour.
- Improvements to compositing performance with Metal compute enabled.
- General improvement to filter responsiveness.
- Improved clone brush responsiveness and fixed a couple of crashes.
- Assorted metadata improvements.
- Saving a JPEG will now replace the EXIF::Subject field with the document title.
- Restore support for .fff files.
- Prevent access to tone mapping / develop when recording a macro (the result would never be recorded).
- Improved the performance of median, blur brush with Metal compute.

- Fixed broken Japanese keyboard input (sorry!).
- Fixed printing CMYK documents on older versions of macOS.
- Fixed sporadic tile issues when painting with Metal compute enabled.
- Fixed crash when reentering export dialog under certain conditions.
- Fixed crashes when pasting screenshots into the app.
- Fixed some crashes on GPUs with 32GB of VRAM (!).
- Fixed vibrance slider in tone mapping.
- Fixed Lightroom data being stripped from Capture One XMP output.
- Fixed loss of legacy HSL adjustment HSV state after a save.
- Fixed batch job crashes when saving to .afphoto.

- Selection refinement - performance and stability improvements.
- Fixed clone brush issues when sampling from current layer & below.
- Inpainting performance improvements.
- Import 16bit half float JPEG-XR files properly.
- Allow .jxr files to be dragged in.
- Text performance improvements.
- Improved LAB colour conversions.
- Fixed healing brush bugs.
- Fixed badly placed stepper buttons in tone mapping UI.
- Pantone palettes are now sorted alphabetically.
- Fixed crash when starting app in a folder containing weird characters.
- Fixed yellow colour cast on certain DNG files.
- Fixed 360 degree images losing metadata on export.

To be notified about all future macOS beta updates, please follow this notification thread 
To be notified when this Photo update comes out of beta and is fully released to all Affinity Photo on macOS customers, please follow this thread

44 minutes ago, Andy Somerfield said:

- StudioLink integration tweaks.

Currently, on my Mac I have these 3 Customer Beta builds installed:

• Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.458
  • Affinity Photo build 1.7.2.151 (RC3)
  • Affinity Designer Customer beta build 1.7.2.2 (RC1)

StudioLink in the APub beta works with the above Photo & Designer builds. Will it work with this Photo 1.7.2.153 - GM build as well?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
4 hours ago, R C-R said:

Will it work with this Photo 1.7.2.153 - GM build as well?

Yes it will. However all the betas will probably stop working once you update the Mac App Store 1.7.2 releases as they have in the past :-/

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

20 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

However all the betas will probably stop working once you update the Mac App Store 1.7.2 releases as they have in the past :-/

I have no problem with that unless somehow that affects the retail releases, which I assume it won't.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
13 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I have no problem with that unless somehow that affects the retail releases, which I assume it won't.

Not sure what "retail releases" you mean. I was referring to the Retail MAS releases in my reply. Retail Release builds of our products will only activate the StudioLink if it can find the right retail release builds. Retail builds ignore beta builds and rely on other retail builds for StudioLink. (NOTE: This GM is a beta GM and subtly different from the retail GM package)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

45 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Not sure what "retail releases" you mean.

I just wanted to make sure that the unspecified "StudioLink integration tweaks" in this beta build only affect the betas builds, & not somehow also affect the operation of StudioLink in the retail apps.

I also assume for the retail apps that it does not matter if some are from the Affinity Store & some are from the MAS.

Affinity Photo 

• Staff
15 minutes ago, R C-R said:

not somehow also affect the operation of StudioLink in the retail apps.

The functioning of StudioLink in 1.7.1 retail apps was far from perfect (at least 4 ways it could fail or report incorrectly) . The comment "StudioLink integration tweaks" absolutely affects release builds, mending more of the problems found by customers and reported to QA and support staff. 

15 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I also assume for the retail apps that it does not matter if some are from the Affinity Store & some are from the MAS.

It should not affect it, no. There were exceptional cases where this was not true (particularly when Mac apps were not installed directly into applications folder)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff

Final 1.7.2 builds are now fully released on all stotes so there are no betas running anymore. If any issues exist in the release build please report in the appropriate Bugs forum.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

8 hours ago, Paul Chiswick said:

No AP or AD beta in the Mac App store. Do they even allow betas? It seems it isn't possible to participate if purchase is from the store?

Betas downloaded from the forum will activate if you have the MAS versions of the released apps.

• Staff
1 hour ago, fde101 said:

Betas downloaded from the forum will activate if you have the MAS versions of the released apps.

Only betas built and released after the MAS release will activate. All earlier betas stop running when a new MAS release comes out, (unless you have the Affinity Store releases in which case old and new betas both function)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

4 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Only betas built and released after the MAS release will activate. All earlier betas stop running when a new MAS release comes out, (unless you have the Affinity Store releases in which case old and new betas both function)

So is there any advantage in keeping the beta apps older than the current MAS releases installed, or any downside to deleting them & reclaiming ~1 GB of disk space per beta?

AFAIK, deleting those beta apps won't delete any of the per user files stored in ~/Library/Application Support/{name of app}, so if/when new betas become available & they can reuse any of those files, then that would still work.

Affinity Photo 

• Staff
14 hours ago, R C-R said:

So is there any advantage in keeping the beta apps older than the current MAS releases installed, or any downside to deleting them & reclaiming ~1 GB of disk space per beta?

None I can think of.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

1 minute ago, Patrick Connor said:

None I can think of.

Thanks! I assume you are sufficiently caffeinated that I can trust you on this, right? (Just kidding!)

Actually, the real reason I want to do this is not to save disk space (I have tons to spare) but so that the now unusable betas won't show up in "Open with ..." choices, which my insufficiently caffeinated self accidentally chooses with annoying frequency, forcing me to ponder my stupidity while I wait for the beta to try to load & tell me I can't use it. :S

Affinity Photo