You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

VERY slow to open pics in MAC photo library

I'm using Affinity Photo 1.7.1 on a iMAC (decent spec) with the latest Catalina beta. My Apple photo library is about 250GB with over 10,000 images. Recently, when using file/open/photo library, it can take an hour (yup 1 hour!) to render the thumbnails in the file dialogue box. Something must be wrong! Any ideas or similar experiences, please?

• Staff

Hi enpea,

Welcome to the forums :)

As this bug is related to a MacOS beta, I've moved it into the beta section of our forums - although I appreciate you're not using a beta version of Affinity Photo. This ticket will be dealt with by our QA team in due course, and they should hopefully respond here shortly. Many thanks!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Hey enpea,

I've just spent some time duplicating a ton of images. I got to 5,000 before giving up as it was taking so long—however it turns out that this was enough to reproduce the issue. I then tried doing the same in Preview and Photoshop but this was only loading approx 100 of the images. I then restarted Affinity Photo and it also instantly loaded 100 images.

I'm not sure if this is because I've only just duplicated them and they are still loading so I'll leave it for a bit and check back later. 

For your info, I tried it on my Catalina MacBook Pro and my iMac running Mojave and I was seeing a similar thing on both.

Do they all immediately load with your Preview app and any other software you have? 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.