You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Super basic question, but I really need to learn it

I've learned to use the selection tool - I have many files that have multiple graphics on them, so I need to be able to select one or more, then move it to the page I'm working on.  Once it's selected and the moving dotted lines are going I cannot move the object - the whole file is usually selected, so the whole thing moves, rather than the one object I've selected.  I know this is a ridiculously basic question for most of you, but I need to figure this out.  I scrap digitally and this is one of the most important skills I need to master.  Thanks so much for any help provided.

Cathy Mason

Cathy, I’m not quite sure what you’re trying to do but it doesn’t sound too complicated.
For starters, could you say which application you’re using please? That makes it easier to advise as the different applications have different tools and some tools are better than others at doing the same sort of thing. (Also, are you on Mac or Windows.)
Also, what type of graphics are you working with, e.g. PNG, SVG, EPS, etc.
From the sound of what you are saying it might be that you are making the process too complicated for yourself.
Personally, if I was making a scrapbook, I would process each graphic separately to build up a ‘library’ of these graphics to place in documents as I need them (maybe via the Assets panel).
To give an idea of what I mean, for your example, I would load the flowers into the software (which application depends on the original image type) and isolate each one individually and then export each to a separate file with a transparent background. I could then simply place each file in my document as and when I need them.
How I would isolate the graphics really depends on the image file type (PNG, SVG, etc.) and which application(s) you have access to.
If you can give more information I’m sure we can give you a better answer.

It looks like Photo to me, as you have the marching ants. So once you have your selection made, use CTRL+J or CMD+J on Mac to make the sleection into a layer. You can then deselect and move that layer around separate to everything else. However, you'll still have the flower on the original layer, so you'll need to erase it (or paint over it, maybe using the infill painting tool) from that layer otherwise you'll get a duplicate flower in your image.

Upload the file so we can take a look.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

Hi lncmason :)

It sounds as though you're using your selection tool on placed images which appear as (Image) objects in the layers studio. You'll need to rasterise the image to a (Pixel) Layer before you can copy/move the pixels from it, else you will always move the whole layer.

To rasterise the object, locate it in the Layer panel, right-click the layer and select Rasterise. I've attached a quick screen recording below showing this!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Oh my gosh, you all came through for me!  I know it's unbelievably basic, but I'm learning things bit by and bit and can only get so much off YouTube.  I'm sorry - I neglected to mention what I'm using - I'm working with PNG files in Affinity Designer.  Your comments and the video are exactly what I need - thank you!  I'm going to work on this now and see if I can finally get this.

Cathy