You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Healing brush not responding in Mac OS

Welcome to the forum Sarah Yuster.
One mistake that I keep making on a pretty regular basis in Photo is not having the correct layer selected which means that the tool I am using is operating on a layer on which it has no effect. Or, the tool is affecting a layer but it’s part of the layer that is not visible which has the same visual result.
Have you checked that you have the correct layer selected and, if you also have an active selection, you are using the tool within that selection? It’s so easy to get this wrong – for me at least – that it comes up almost every time I use Photo.

thank you for replying! I am not sure what layer should be in use. Maybe I accidentally changed the settings from the ones that had been working for me. the color and light adjustments are working though. since you've been helpful (by the way, I looked at the tutorial and it didn't offer any definitive info in this regard), can you tell me what the layer box should say? in the meantime, I'll experiment.

• Staff

You have a Vibrance Adjustment selected. These tools only work with a pixel layer (check the label between parenthesis after the layer's name in the Layers panel). If you switch to the background layer (which is a pixel layer) the tools will work as you'd expect. These live adjustment (and filter) layers should only be used in conjunction with (some of) the brush tools when you want to edit/manipulate their built-in masks (so you can hide their effects on some parts of the image if you paint with black on them or paint with their effects in case you invert the mask and paint with white)

well,

I don't know how I did that, but I'm sure you deal with people like me frequently. Yes, the healing brush is working and I expect the painting tools will too. I'm a painter, not a photographer though I do need to use good cameras for reference and creating repro quality files. Lots to to learn.

Thank you!!!

12 minutes ago, Sarah Yuster said:

I don't know how I did that

I do! ...and don't worry this happens to me all the time and I've been in the graphics industry for about 25 years! When you add any adjustment layer then it automatically gets selected, which enables you to imediately use a brush tool or gradient tool to amend the way the adjustment layer affects your picture. It's very slightly counter intuitive and is always catching me out, however, the more it does it the more I learn to look at the layers first to make sure I'm on the pixel layer, so it's slowly sinking in.

Lovely painting by the way!

I feel better now! Born with an inherent distaste for following directions as well as a nagging fear that I'm incapable of doing so anyway, I've been forced to carefully learn what's essential for my line of work.  It's as psychologically wresting and tortuous as painting itself can be.