You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No document-wide replace font?

• 4 months later...

Maybe this all sort of works more or less if you have actually assigned Text Formats to all your type before. If not (as it often the case in smaller documents) it still is a real pain in the butt to have missing fonts reliably substituted all over the document.

To me it seems absolutely pointless of Publisher to stop short of a possibility to (lastingly) "Assign“ the substitutions documentwide once you've made your choices in the Font Manager.

Up to now I thought I was missing something or making a mistake somewhere – I actually cannot believe that this is "officially" still so awkward! I don't think that the whole Find and Replace business "on the document's surface" is a professional solution. What's needed is a "Find and Replace" within the internal document data which is triggered by an "Apply" button in the Font Manager – not more, but also no less.

This is such a simple concept that it is definitely not useful to excuse its "non-implementation" by referring to some alleged "semi pro"-ness of Publisher. Just look at all of Serif's announcements and the way the app is advertised: it IS meant as a professional tool for print design after all and as such it is quite a shame that this – actually not so special – feature still poises such a problem in the everyday workflow.

Don't get me wrong: I DO love the Affinity apps and I really DO try to make the transition from "Big A" but things like these tend to put my patience to a test nevertheless...

Agreed.

I think Affinity needs to work with an experienced production consultant. Someone who has spent many years in the print industry and agencies actually producing printed material in the real world. There are really good reasons why Adobe stuff does what it does (although they've added a ton of other features) - it's not just a feature.

They could hire me, I started with Quark 2.11 . . . and paste-up!

8 minutes ago, F+C said:

I think Affinity needs to work with an experienced production consultant. Someone who has spent many years in the print industry and agencies actually producing printed material in the real world.

A good point! I have found myself thinking likewise, too. Not only as Publisher is concerned – also in Designer there are certain features missing that at least one or two from a pool of 5–10 "real world" Illustrators would point their fingers to after not too long a time working with the app (say: Line Width Tool, Image Tracer etc.).

IMHO software designers just tend to think differently from "design designers" – about which features people would need (or not) and what's "cool" to have for some reason or other. And, of course, HOW thing are done (or should be done) – meaning how to structure a certain workflow through the design of the app's UI. I felt – for example – that some places for settings in the apps seem to be a bit almost randomly scattered over the UI although – in a "design designer's" way of thinking and working – they should actually be in closer logical vicinity.

Being a real expert in one field of knowledge unfortunately sometimes prevents you from seeking solid advice on subjects you have not really all the experience and the sense for possible inconsistencies in.

very true.

In fact, most professional design work is pretty boring. After the conceptualization it's really about execution, and that's the difference between pro's and normals.

A pro is more interested in speed of layout, stability.

It's more about getting 15 ad's out by 5, or that 75 page AR that the client has been slow at getting the source material to you so you're 2 weeks behind and it needs to get to proofing next morning and it's 3pm.

You don't get a chance to do all the wacky things that the programs allow you to do in real-life.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, CreativeCortex said:

And now I need the feature and all these years on it's still not available. Can't 'find and replace' because the font isn't installed on the system, can't apply in Font manager. How many years has it been? Such a pity.

If you're using Publisher, you can do it via Find and Replace.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

11 minutes ago, CreativeCortex said:

Can't 'find and replace' because the font isn't installed on the system

1. Find & Replace → Format → Font → Font Family → "All Fonts" popup menu → Missing Fonts

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

If you're using Publisher, you can do it via Find and Replace.

I just tried it not 15 minutes ago. So I'd be glad to be shown what I'm doing wrong. In find and replace, you click the cog next to find, choose format, then search for your font... except it can only search for installed fonts, not fonts that are cited in the document but not installed. So, it's as has been previously explained, if the font isn't installed on the system you can't find and replace them. But I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong.

21 hours ago, loukash said:

Find & Replace → Format → Font → Font Family → "All Fonts" popup menu → Missing Fonts

Ah, thank you for pointing out this solution – I guess I never would have thought looking at it this way.

Nevertheless, there definitely should be a way in (at least) Publisher to do documentwide missing font replacement via the app’s "Font Manager“ as it is there where missing fonts are listed on the first hand and where you then would naturally want to resolve the issue wholesale (instead of "hopping“ from one incidence within the doccument to the next).

In InDesign you have been easily able to do documentwide font replacement for ages...

On the other hand I don't quite see an issue with not finding fonts that are actually not installed on the system (or which maybe are in fact present on the drive but not activated by a Font Manager i.e. like FontExplorer X, Suitcase et al.) This seems only natural to me – when you encounter a missing font that's not currently active on the system you'll just have to ensure that it is by installing/activating it. And if you haven’t got it you cannot use it... you wouldn't really expect otherwise, would you?

2 hours ago, Lorox said:

there definitely should be a way in (at least) Publisher to do documentwide missing font replacement via the app’s "Font Manager“

I agree. Publisher's "Font Manager" still feels like an "unfinished afterthought"… :/ 

2 hours ago, Lorox said:

I don't quite see an issue with not finding fonts that are actually not installed on the system (or which maybe are in fact present on the drive but not activated by a Font Manager i.e. like FontExplorer X, Suitcase et al.)

I'm using the Typeface app on MacOS Ventura. Its auto-activation works flawlessly with Affinity apps if enabled. (Usually I keep it disabled.)
https://typefaceapp.com/help/articles/activation

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

18 hours ago, loukash said:

I'm using the Typeface app

@loukash Thank you for mentioning this app which I didn't know up to now! Judging by what’s to learn on its website it actually might be quite promising... Now that FontExplorer X has been discontinued I had been asking myself for a while how to comfortably manage my zillions of fonts in the longer run...

Actually I, like you, don't care too much about auto-activation of fonts. I rather prefer to be reminded of what fonts might be missing for a certain document and then activate them myself. I feel like I'm having better control/overview this way (hopelessly old school, I guess...).

And yeah, I share your opinion about Publisher's ”Font Manager“ – it's like they stopped somewhat in the middle with this tool/panel.

9 minutes ago, Lorox said:

Now that FontExplorer X has been discontinued

Yeah, I'm also migrating from FEX, having the last free version 4 still running on my El Capitan Macs. Typeface was my logical choice because it can at least partially import FEX sets and convert them to "tags". Still though, compared to FEX, it's one step forward, two steps aside and three steps back in usability. :/ 

15 minutes ago, Lorox said:

I feel like I'm having better control/overview this way (hopelessly old school, I guess...).

I'm literally old school because every now and then I need to open or convert documents from the 1990s where I was using old Type 1 or even Mac TrueType fonts which may appear slightly differently from their updated OTF/TTF counterparts. Therefore I want to make deliberate choices which exact version of a font to activate. Autoactivation is not smart enough.