You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No document-wide replace font?

Unless I'm missing something, the Font Manager in Publisher is seriously lacking. I don't understand why there is a way to specify a substitution for a missing font, but no way to actually apply the substitution. And if the font isn't missing, you can't even pick a substitution. The only way around it appears to have set up Styles from the start and then change the styles one by one. But Publisher needs to have a feature like Adobe's "Find Font" in InDesign and Illustrator and Quark...

I think the Font Manager only provides a temporary override for the missing fonts, and I agree that the ability to provide a permanent substitution for them would be useful.

For fonts that aren't missing, you can use Find/Replace to change them in existing text. Click the cog icon in the Find box then click Format, and specify the font information to find. Do the same with the cog in the Replace box to specify the replacement font.

But yes, if you're using Paragraph Styles that specify fonts you would also need to update any Paragraph Styles to ensure that new text used the proper fonts.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

This is a good observation. I encountered it just a few days ago too, and I was surprised when the substitution was only kind of like preview substitution. This could be helpful in some cases, but I also think actually replacing might be useful more often. I would suggest adding to the current behavior the ability to actually replace fonts.

• 2 months later...
On 8/15/2019 at 12:11 PM, Jeremy Bohn said:

Agreed. It's like there should be an Apply button or something.

I just ran into this and hope that this suggestion is incorporated in the next update. Very necessary in my work. Had there not be these remarks on the forum I would have still been looking for some type of "Apply" button since it is obvious in other programs,

You can use Find & Replace to search for and replace fonts.

Click the gear icon next to "Find" and select "Format", then specify the font to search for.

Click the gear icon next to "Replace with" and select "Format", then specify the font to replace with.

Leave the find and replace text fields blank, click Find, then click Replace All.

9 hours ago, fde101 said:

You can use Find & Replace to search for and replace fonts.

Yes, and that works if the font you want to change is installed on your system. But does that work for fonts that are missing on your system? There are reports that it doesn't.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Joe Kaylem said:

Hate to be a dick - but this issue exists since 2014 - it's not going to fixed.

You mean before APublisher was released?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• 2 months later...

Crap - is this still the case? This is a pretty critical feature for a professional page layout program.

We were really looking forward to moving from CS to Affinity but this will be a deal-breaker for us.

This is critical for agency work where you never know what you'll get.

Ugh - we'll have to redo everything now is CS - ick.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

Unfortunately it's still the case.

I thought that the Find/Replace approach works now, even for missing fonts, though the Font Manager still only does temporary replacements.

-- Walt
PC:

• 2 months later...

I want to add my hope for better font management in AffPublisher. The problem is that the "Font Manager" shows the extent of font problems but does nothing to manage the fonts in the "substitution" and "subsitution style" columns. For a program like Publisher, changing fonts after opening publication and pdf files that someone else created is critical.

Yeah - unless you've worked in a production environment where you're dealing with a ton of documents from different designers with tight deadlines, it probably doesn't seem that important.

It is these small things that separate the truly professional grade applications from consumer or prosumer grade solutions.

But if Affinity is going for the Prosumer market than it's a different decision. We are comparing it to a solution that is much older and much, much more expensive after all.

• 3 weeks later...

It would be really nice to learn that the Affinity team is working on a far simpler way to accomplish font substitutions for v. 1.9 -- or even v. 2.0!!   I am currently converting several books from INDL to Publisher, and the font substitution thing is a major pain in the neck.  The fonts I need are alive and well on my computer, but the font names are different between the InDesign and the Publisher files.   So Font Manager very politely accepts my substitutions, and then the Context Toolbar -- also very politely -- hands me the name of the font from InDesign with the question mark in front of it.   So I have to manually change everything.   Unfortunately for me in one 350 page book created to exactly duplicate a book published in 1846,  I have used several font faces (ITC Garamond Book, ITC Garamond Book Italic, ITC Garamond Book Bold, ITC Garamond Book Bold Italic) to exactly replicate the original typesetting.  Even using Find/Replace per @walt.farrell's suggestions this is a verrrrrrry tedious process.   Each file (fortunately my version was created with several files) must be Found and Replaced four times per file, for each of the four typefaces.   Not for the weak of heart. 

Nevertheless, Publisher is magnificent!  Hated InDesign.  With a passion.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

If you are working on something as structured as a book, your fonts should really only be set within text styles.  Text styles are presumably imported via the IDML process, and you can change the fonts once in the styles to have them applied throughout the document.

If you applied them as "local formatting" (or whatever InDesign calls that, not even sure offhand) then in effect you created a lot of extra work for yourself for doing this conversion.

19 minutes ago, fde101 said:

If you are working on something as structured as a book, your fonts should really only be set within text styles.  Text styles are presumably imported via the IDML process, and you can change the fonts once in the styles to have them applied throughout the document.

If you applied them as "local formatting" (or whatever InDesign calls that, not even sure offhand) then in effect you created a lot of extra work for yourself for doing this conversion.

I take it you haven't been in the industry very long. You'll learn kid, you'll learn....

The font manager permit to visually replace missing fonts, and it's important and usefull. This feature should remains as it is, like it was in QXP, and you can use it to easily visualise where some specific missing fonts are used.

You can replace fonts using the find/replace panel, but this panel is not ergonomic and need more work in different areas (dropdowns menus with submenus aren't visually effectives on the long run, replace in selection, etc.).

As said by @jmwellborn, it would be more logical to have in the fonts manager a second tab or an option to specifically trully replace fonts with more options (like "replace in "Text styles").

bonjour à tous
d'accord avec ce qui est dit concernant le F/R. Sans problème.
Si cela n'a pas déjà été dit voici une possibilité qui n'est pas une panacée c'est sûr !
Mais pour le moment, ça fait le job.

Je vois que c'est déjà indiqué par Wosven :)
hello everyone
agree with what is said about the F/R. No problem.
If this has not already been said here is a possibility that is not a panacea for sure!
But for now, it does the job.

I see that it is already indicated by Wosven :)

policeManquante001.jpg

policeManquante002.jpg

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2

@wosven

Bonjour de France :)

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2

• 2 weeks later...

This just bit me on a project that is using Helvetica Neue LT Std rather than the Helvetica Neue that comes with macOS. Find & Replace isn't really an ideal solution. With InDesign I can just change that font throughout the document.

3 minutes ago, jpinnix said:

This just bit me on a project that is using Helvetica Neue LT Std rather than the Helvetica Neue that comes with macOS. Find & Replace isn't really an ideal solution. With InDesign I can just change that font throughout the document.

Okay, this was actually way easier than I expected. Using the Find & Replace cog to change Format actually worked well.