Unless I'm missing something, the Font Manager in Publisher is seriously lacking. I don't understand why there is a way to specify a substitution for a missing font, but no way to actually apply the substitution. And if the font isn't missing, you can't even pick a substitution. The only way around it appears to have set up Styles from the start and then change the styles one by one. But Publisher needs to have a feature like Adobe's "Find Font" in InDesign and Illustrator and Quark...

I think the Font Manager only provides a temporary override for the missing fonts, and I agree that the ability to provide a permanent substitution for them would be useful.

For fonts that aren't missing, you can use Find/Replace to change them in existing text. Click the cog icon in the Find box then click Format, and specify the font information to find. Do the same with the cog in the Replace box to specify the replacement font.

But yes, if you're using Paragraph Styles that specify fonts you would also need to update any Paragraph Styles to ensure that new text used the proper fonts.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.458 Beta

This is a good observation. I encountered it just a few days ago too, and I was surprised when the substitution was only kind of like preview substitution. This could be helpful in some cases, but I also think actually replacing might be useful more often. I would suggest adding to the current behavior the ability to actually replace fonts.