You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layers panel doesn't show proper page's layers when switching views of a document

When you have two Views open for a Publisher document, you may have different pages displayed in each. Say, the original view (v1) has page 1 displayed, then you use View > New View to create another view (v2). In v2, switch to page 2.

That's all fine.

Now change to the tab that has view v1 displayed. If you check the Layers panel it will be displaying the layers from v2's page (page 2). You must click on the page in view v1 with some tool other than the View tool, or double-click on the page icon in the Pages panel, to get the Layers panel to update to show the layers for page 1.

Now switch to the tab that has view v2 displayed. The Layers panel is still showing the layers from v1 (page 1) until you click on the page (or double-click its icon) in v2.

Example:

1. The pages I have defined:

image.png.63b2142b6995ceba3450a0e502fab80d.png

2. Page 1(view v1) and its layer panel:

image.png.e44841b97fc89d0247a1cb13b01d984f.png

3. Create new view v2, and switch to page 2:

image.png.e8dde8dda941e4494c188c8fff671e93.png

4. Switch back to the tab for view v1:

image.png.b3509138458d5a51c1d116893d7f5069.png

new-view-bug.afpub

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

15 minutes ago, Pauls said:

The layers panel is always displaying the current spread of the document

A slight correction from my side: If they are facing pages, both spreads content appear in the layer panel. I does not matter if you click on the right or left page in the pages panel. The view jumps to the selected page. Could be irritating if there are layers of both pages, especially when there are "hundreds" of layers.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

2 hours ago, Pauls said:

The layers panel is always displaying the current spread of the document which will be the same for the 2 views. It's pretty much like scrolling to a different place in the document.

Thanks, Paul. That makes sense.

It would be nice if the Publisher Help were updated to clarify that switching to a different view does not change what is considered to be the current page. That fact can be seen in the Pages panel if one thinks to look, but that's a subtle indication :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1